Smarter CAD for Turbomachinery Components
Blades, volutes, endwall contouring, ducts etc. – CAESES® gives you a powerful environment to create your simulation-ready and robust CAD models for your turbomachinery applications. CAESES® offers the highest level of customization to take into account all your turbomachinery know-how and experience.
The powerful scripting possibilities of CAESES® allow you to seamlessly integrate these amazing variable models into your existing design process.
No more manual pre-processing for new design candidates – just set it up once and run your studies and optimizations. CAESES® models can be linked to your meshing and CFD software as well as to ready-to-use optimization strategies. If you already use optimization tools in your company, then run CAESES® in batch mode and use it as your smarter geometry engine in a CFD-driven design process.
For the parametric blade design, CAESES® offers a dedicated add-on which makes it your comprehensive turbomachinery blade design tool. But why choosing CAESES® for turbomachinery blade design? Compared to other blade tools in the market, CAESES® gives you unlimited possibilities to efficiently fine-tune important details of your initial blade shape, for instance to minimize cavitation or to avoid undesired local flow phenomena which lead to pressure losses. CAESES® blade models are ready for the fast manual and automated creation of new design candidates. Create single-blade and splitter blade models, and always have full access and customization possibilities such as
- 2D profile parameterization
- Meridional contours
- Stacking procedure
- Leading edge and trailing edge shapes
- Camber definitions (parametric beta/theta functions)
- Thickness distributions
- Constant and variable radii fillets etc.
If you feel you are limited with other tools in terms of blade shape details or regarding the fully automated & robust blade generation, then you should really give CAESES® a try. CAESES® works for any kind of rotating machinery, no matter if you are designing turbochargers, fans, pumps, axial compressors or turbines.
Turbocharger and Pump Volutes
CAESES® is the perfect design tool for volutes of turbochargers and pumps. 100% robustness and the possibility to build-in company-specific design parameters are the main benefits for you as a CAESES® user. Create your own model – or let us help you to create a custom template model that can be used in your CFD department without any CAESES® expertise!
The idea of endwall contouring is to be able to modify the hub and shroud geometry, e.g. in the leading edge region of the blade, to minimize undesired secondary flow losses. With CAESES® you create your own parametric models for these free-form surfaces. We can also provide existing efficient models that can be readily used for optimization. Check out the blog post “Variable Geometry for Endwall Contouring of Turbines and Compressors” for more information and a short demo video.
- Fans and blowers (axial, radial, mixed flow)
- Pumps (centrifugal, axial, mixed-flow, multi-stage)
- Blading for axial compressors and turbines
- Blading for radial and centrifugal machines
- Volutes and scrolls
- Endwall contouring
- Propellers for ships and aircraft
- Wind turbines
- Turbine exit casings
- Compressor discharge valves
I enjoy using CAESES® as it allows me to parametrically generate geometries without ever going through a CAD design cycle. In this sense it really streamlined my process from concept to CFD verification.
— Ruhou Gao, Turbomachinery Engineer, Spencer Turbine Company
Why CAESES® for Turbomachinery Applications?
There are several benefits when you compare CAESES® to conventional CAD-CFD workflows. From our customer feedback the following ones are the most important:
- Robustness and flexibility of parametric models
- High level of customization i.e. no black box models and full integration into existing workflows
- Direct and automated consideration of geometrical/manufacturing constraints in model setups
- Intelligent reduction of the total number of parameters
- Powerful fine-tuning possibilities of shape details (e.g. to better control local flow phenomena such as cavitation or swirls)
- One-time preprocessing for all design variants
- Everything is geared towards automation, for the purpose of efficient shape optimizations
- Incredibly fast support from the CAESES® support team
Leading companies such as SIEMENS, Toyota, MTU, KSB, Spencer Turbine and IHI are using CAESES® for the design of turbomachinery components. Here is a SIEMENS case study for the design and optimization of turbine blades. A turbocharger optimization is shown in the case study optimization of volute and vaned diffusor. If you are interested in stator optimization, then check out this blog post about the TU Berlin Turbolab stator. There is also a short article about ANSYS Turbogrid export.
If you are interested in using CAESES® as a design tool in your CFD department, then just drop us a line and we’ll get back to you tomorrow 🙂