Geometry Modeling for Variation
CAESES®‘ foundation is a powerful and flexible parametric 3D modeler. It is your perfect choice if you need reliable and efficient geometry models for conducting automated studies with CFD.
From the start, the 3D modeling capabilities were developed for efficient and robust variation of complex geometries.
Unlike traditional CAD tools, the main focus of CAESES® is the smart design and robust variation of complex flow-exposed surfaces. No matter if you cope with internal or external flows. “Smart” means with fewer shape variables, and with a more flow-centric control that maps the thinking of CFD engineers to the model.
Examples are turbochargers including volutes, pumps, ship hulls, aircraft wings, arbitrarily shaped ducts, turbomachinery blades, casting components etc. Pretty much anything that needs to be improved in terms of its flow characteristics.
The following video gives you a first idea of the software look & feel, where some shape variables of geometry are changed. More detailed information about the CAD capabilities is given below.
Efficient Variable Geometry
CAESES® gives you powerful surface generation tools to create an efficient variable geometry model for an optimization. These surface techniques can incorporate all your flow-related ideas and you can make use of your experience and domain expertise.
Incorporate constraints to generate only feasible designs.
Constraints can also be considered or even automatically fulfilled in your model, to create only feasible designs. With a smarter surface parameterization, you can bring down your total numbers of free variables – which, as a consequence, can save you days and weeks in terms of computational efforts in simulation-based optimizations.
Why CAESES for CAD?
You can use CAESES® as your primary CAD tool. Alternatively, use it as an upfront CAD tool in a collaborative and integrated way with traditional design and production CAD (e.g. CATIA, NX, Pro/E, SolidWorks). These traditional tools, although powerful, are detail-oriented and encompass features which may not be relevant for simulation.
Use a lightweight model for automated processes in the pre-CAD stage.
In addition, the parametric controls are often not efficient and flow-related, and the models don’t react robustly to automated variations. This is exactly where CAESES® comes into play. You as a CFD engineer can explore all of your ideas with a geometry model that is ready for CFD and that gives you the controls you need.
Made for Many Industries
Flow analysis gets applied in loads of different engineering fields. CAESES® provides generalized methods for the design of complex 3D free-form shapes in any industry. There are add-ons available that extend the functionality by industry-specific tools such as parametric blade and ship hull design.
Check the industry-specific information for more details in your engineering context.
Ship Hull Design
CAESES® provides a specialized set of design capabilities to create and optimize any kinds of parametric ship hulls. See the marine section for more information.
The curve and surface modeling capabilities are based on a powerful object-oriented approach which is handed over to you in a great and intuitive graphical user interface. Even though most users work in this graphical user interface, each design step can be fully scripted and automated. The following CAD capabilities are provided:
- Parametric 2D sketches and full-blown 3D modeling
- Innovative surfaces techniques for sweeps with custom parameter distributions
- NURBS curves and surfaces
- Intersection and projection curves/points
- Specialized and fairness optimized curves for intuitive 2D modeling
- NACA curves
- Developable surface
- Boolean Operations for solid objects (union, intersection etc.)
- Fillet modeling such as constant and variable radius fillets between two surfaces
- Surface triangulation control with snapping mechanisms for creation of closed STLs
- Common imports and exports (IGES, Colored STL, STEP, Parasolid, ACIS, DXF, VTK)
- Specialized and proprietary export formats for meshing and CFD tools (write your own formats in CAESES®)
- Mapping of 2D sections onto 3D stream surfaces for blade design
- Section generation for e.g. hydrostatic calculations in ship design
- Full scripting/automation of geometry-related tasks, incl. batch mode