Mr. Daniel Floden

How to get 2Dscene propeller

Hi,

There is a label called "FGIPropeller" under Administration which holds the various 2Dscenes for the propeller 2d-drawing and tables.

When I have my propeller design where do I find the functions to create this 2d setup?

BR

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

You need to create a 2D setup post-8-0-46368300-1385649920_thumb.png

In the next step, drag & drop your propeller object into the 2D scene. You can then choose what to plot in the object editor ("view" attribute) for a selected propeller (i.e. selected in the 2D window) post-8-0-23399900-1385650139_thumb.png

Does this help?

Cheers

Joerg

Hi Joerg,

It worked fine, thank you.

But I have a few more questions on the topic. 

1. The "blade section" view. How is that defined? If seems as if it is not the developed view (Holst representation)?  

2. Is there any way of define a custom view based on my own representation of the blade?

BR

Daniel

Hey Daniel,

Maybe you have seen it already. We have a video with regards to propeller design on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x75TJUmoDM

A second video with regard to Propeller Design is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpyZ3vTGct8&list=UU0GfNDj5JIoBWR-YUFQ_xMA .

This guides you through creating and changing a 2D profile definition. In the end it is connected to the Blade and Propeller object.

Kind Regards

Karsten

Hi Daniel,

1. I am not a 100% sure which view you mean but I guess: 2D sections plotted at their radial positions, not in a developed way but really showing the 2D definition (so you are right).
  2. For custom views, we need to ask the other developers - I am not sure whether we can do it easily in the 2D scene. One way could be setting up the geometries in your project and visualize them by dragging them into the 2D scene. Any curve can be dragged into the scene and plotted in a plane. If the geometries are more complex, you could put the algorithmic part into a feature definition which can also be reused in other projects again...

Does this help?

Alternatively, if you have more general wishes for the 2D scene, we could still implement them so that they are available to everyone who uses CAESES/FFW.

Cheers

Joerg

Hi everyone,

I have created a 3 bladed B Series propeller using the online tool, but now I need to make the 2D drawing. I am having some trouble with this. I need a transverse view, expanded view, pitch distribution and profile view. Is this something CAESES can create? Can someone guide me please?

Thanks

Hi Tariq,

Interesting and good request!

We have a basic 2D drawing capability in CAESES which works for propellers that are created with the FGenericBlade entity - not sure whether you know this one. However, the Wageningen online tool is not based on this. For "dead" geometries (IGES, STEP, STEP etc) there is only the possibility to create and analyze sections through a manual or automated process, where e.g. feature definitions are used in combination with intersection commands, and where the generated 2D data is plotted into the 3D view. That would work and allows you to export the generated 2D data. But it is some work to do, and not directly available. I know a few customers who created their custom 2D drawing with this approach.

So, the answer is rather no if you are looking for a quick and readily available solution. 

Cheers

Jörg

Thank you for the reply. Is there anyway I can get the coordinates of a B series blade and maybe draw that in autoCAD?

Hi Tariq,

Interesting and good request!

We have a basic 2D drawing capability in CAESES which works for propellers that are created with the FGenericBlade entity - not sure whether you know this one. However, the Wageningen online tool is not based on this. For "dead" geometries (IGES, STEP, STEP etc) there is only the possibility to create and analyze sections through a manual or automated process, where e.g. feature definitions are used in combination with intersection commands, and where the generated 2D data is plotted into the 3D view. That would work and allows you to export the generated 2D data. But it is some work to do, and not directly available. I know a few customers who created their custom 2D drawing with this approach.

So, the answer is rather no if you are looking for a quick and readily available solution. 

Cheers

Jörg