With CAESES, we also focus on the design and optimization of volute geometries. There is a volute section on the CAESES website. Students and PhD students can get a free academic edition of the pro version - the product page gives more information about this.
Basically, the software allows you to create robust parametric volute designs for manual/automated design explorations and shape optimization with CFD. In most cases, the volutes in CAESES are tailor-made models, i.e. you can fully customize the geometry design:
- Arbitrary parametric cross-section definitions, e.g. based on your area (A) and center of area (=>R) specifications
- Use of point data for creating a volute surface
- User-defined A/R functions (bsplines, mathematical functions)
- Individual tongue modeling with additional parameters for more detailed design studies and fine-tuning
- Analysis and control of inlet/outlet area distributions.
Usually, our CAESES support team helps you in setting up customized models, either through the helpdesk or, for more complex models and a quick solution, by means of a customer project.
See the attachments for some pictures and animations (e.g. the A/R function gets varied as well as the tongue shape).
LAST UPDATE: FEBRUARY 2017