2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Mansur Zhussupbekov

Mr. Mansur Zhussupbekov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

Hi,

I am working on a pump optimization case similar to the TCFD + CAESES webinar/tutorial:

https://www.caeses.c...n-optimization/

In that case, they perform Sobol (global sensitivity) analysis followed by Tsearch (local analysis).

I have few questions about the second part since the tutorial does not show how to setup the Tsearch from the best Sobol result:

• does Tsearch engine determine the new upper and lower bounds for the design parameters automatically based on the Sobol analysis;
  • or do I set the bounds manually?
    • If manually, is there a rule-of-thumb for the new local range? I assume it has to be relatively narrow since we want to stay in the vicinity of this global minimum identified by Sobol analysis. 

If possible, could you please describe the procedure for this setup so that it continues Tsearch from the best Sobol design variant? 

Thank you for your support!

Best regards,

Mansur Zhussupbekov

#2 Mr. Carsten Fuetterer

Mr. Carsten Fuetterer

• Moderators
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:28 AM

Hi Mansur,

first you analyze usually the charts, to see the dependency of each design variable on the objective function.

Attached File  Optimization_charts_variable_bounds.mp4   939.3KB   25 downloads

If there is nearly no dependency (which is indicated by a light yellow color), then you don't need that variable inside a TSearch. Also make sure that no variable reaches it's bounds for the best designs. if this is the case, then you need to extend the range of the design variable (if this is allowed). Usually you don't need to decrease the bounds of a design variable, because the TSearch will create local search from the current design.

To start a TSearch from a best design of a DOE, you can create a new design:

Attached File  global_optimization_best_design_local_search.mp4   891.12KB   31 downloads

hope this helps

best regards

Carsten

Carsten Fütterer
M.Sc. Energy & Process Engineering
CAE Applications Engineer
www.friendship-systems.com
Tel. +49 (0)331 967 66 28

#3 Mr. Mansur Zhussupbekov

Mr. Mansur Zhussupbekov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

Thank you so much, Carsten! And thanks for taking the time to make these videos; this is incredibly helpful. 

Best,

Mansur