Mr. Jaap van der Heide

Exporting or printing of unrolled developable surfaces

Hello all,

I have modelled the hull of a sailing canoe after a lines plan in a book from the 1930’s in Polycad. I exported the B-spline curves describing the chines to iges from Polycad and imported them into CAESES (Free). Then I had CAESES generate developable surfaces between the curves. So far, so good.

But although the documentation states that upon export of a developable surface to iges both the 3D representation and the unrolled surface will be exported, at first I did not see the unrolled surfaces in the iges file. Neither when opened in another CAD software package, nor when inspecting the file using Notepad++.

During time that elapsed to have a small hick-up with my forum account fixed, I found that the unrolled surfeces will be exported when the "IGES (Deprecated)" export function is used, just not with the standard "IGES" export function. I do hope the possibility of exporting developed surfaces will not disappear with the removal of a deprecated function.

Has anybody found out how to get the unrolled surfaces into a "2D window" and generate 2D drawings and/or print files of them in the 2D environment of CAESES?

At the moment I am exporting the unrolled surfaces as an IGES file again, have Polycad translate the iges file to dxf and use Draftsight to turn these into prints. Is this the optimum route to take, or have I overlooked possibilities in CAESES?

Regards,

Jaap

CAESES kersken 3_vlaks.fdbc

Hi Jaap,

Thanks for your good post. We will add the data export to the newer IGES export as well in the future. And, we will keep the deprecated export for the time being. Currently, we have no concrete plans to remove this functionality.

The 2D drawing for developable surfaces is another thing that is on our list of TODOs. It is simply missing, sorry. This also means that your current workflow is a reasonable workaround. Of course, it is not ideal. We'll let you know about the status...

Anyway, thanks a lot for this helpful feedback,

Joerg

Hi Jaap,

You can import the unrolled exported IGES depricated in CAESES again, drag them into the 2D window and export a PDF for printing.

Also a workaround, but that works

Cheers

Claus

I was able to try it on a windows machine (CAESES Free 4.2) with the file attached, but ended the process when memory usage surpassed 685 MB on copying just the developed part of the file attached (178 kB) to the 2D window. Is that memory surge supposed to happen?

[i am sorry, but I am not allowed to upload an .iges file I created with CAESES v4.1]

Hey Jaap, 

Thanks for the report, we will try it as soon as you have uploaded the file.

Create an archive (zip, tar, rar) of the iges and upload it. 

Cheers,

Karsten