Stanley Gabriel

Export Equidistant points

Hi Stanley,

So you have a section profile. You would like to locate 200 equidistant points on the profile, created in clock-wise direction. And then export those creted points as point data on a file, am I correct?

Cheers

Ceyhan

Yes. When I use FOR i=0 TO 199
    u = i/199
    Point = EvaluateCurveAt(u)
    ExportPoint(Point)
END FOR

It doesnt give anything on the console. I tried different export methods, I'm not able to get any output

Hi Stanley,

if you want to write a custom export, a Feature is the right way to do this. The code is pretty straight forward:

FVector3Series toExport()

FUnsigned n(100)
loop (n)
  FDouble pos($$i/(n-1))
  FVector3 onProfile(profile.getPosAtArcLength(pos)) // using arc length (instead of just .getPos() ) ensures the points are geometrically equi-distant.
  toExport.add(onProfile)
endloop

if (!file.openWrite())
  echo("Failed to open file \"" + file.getAbsolutePath() + "\" for writing")
  break()
endif

file.writeLine("profile data:")
file.writeVector3s(toExport)
file.writeLine("eof")

//close file when done with it
file.close()

Attached you find an example project.

Best regards,
Heinrich

exportDemo.cdb

Hi,

I have a foil section defined by 6 variables. I now have a feature that gives me equidistant points on the  profile, however, I need to sample by design variables and get atleast 3500 different geometries, and run the feature on each of them. Is there a way I can do it from Command Line or an external C++/Java. Also there's an additional check that needs to be done based on the thickness of the profile at a certain position. Could we connect externally as the geometry is confidential. Is there a mail I can send it to instead.

Hi Stanley,

sure, this is what CAESES is about (automatically creating lots and lots of variants -- typically you would have them analyzed (e.g. via CFD) and then use an optimization algorithm inside CAESES to converge your shape towards an optimum. Something like maximum lift/drag for example in the case of a profile definition...)

I'll send you a PM so you can share the file...

Cheers,
Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,

Sorry for the confusion and adding something more.

I have generated my section with the origin at a different point than I intended. Instead, keeping everything else the same, the curves and everything, I need to only translate my coordinate system.

The next one is in the operation trim by curve, I only want a curve that is towards the left hand side. But depending on a design variable I have, the curvature is changing based on "curve to keep". Is there a way to only preserve the left side of the curve always.

Regards,

Stan

1.png

2.png

Hi Stanley,

there will probably be a robust way to trim consistently but it is a bit hard to suggest without looking at the project. Maybe you can attach a simplified project to show the problem?

About the translation: there is also an option to add a transformation as a curve operation...

I also recommend you take the time to take a closer look at some of the samples and tutorials to get up to speed.

Cheers,
Heinrich