Mr. Shuguang Wang

Propeller modelling with 2d profiles at each radius

Hello,

I am a beginner in using CAESES to model a propeller.

I tried to create a propeller blade using 2d profiles at each radius from drawings and had some problems in dealing with the leading and trailing edge of blade. I chose 'skinning' method which is recommended to do NURBS Surface Generation, but the results was not good...

I would really appreciate it if someone could give some advice..

Attachment is the project and results... 

post-1166-0-52866100-1566887009_thumb.png

Propeller.fdbc

Hi Shuguang,

the question is what do you try to do? Do you want to have discrete profiles, which you want to modify or do you want to one profile definition, which you want to control with functions along the radius?

For the second case you can refer to our propeller demo model.

best regards

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for your reply.

I am trying to model a propeller model using the profiles like Wageningen based on a propeller drawing.

I have already modelled 2d profiles with discrete points at each radius. But when I try to generate the blade using 'Multiple Profiles', the trailing and leading edge of blade are not smooth as picture shows. How could solve this problem??

Another question is that

Is it necessary to keep the leading edge of each profile be located at the origin? In my project, I put trailing edge at the origin and use the chord value of each profile feature to control the distance between mid chord and reference line (generator line) so that I could get the right expended outline..

Hi Shuguang,

in that case you would have to use a lofted surface, which connects the profiles. Therefor you have to include a definition for skew, rake and pitch inside of the profile definition.

Have you already seen our web app for B-Series propeller?

https://www.wageningen-b-series-propeller.com/

Are you interested in such a model?

I guess you can also have the trailing edge at the origin. This shouldn't do any difference.

best regards

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for your help. I know how to do now.

Actually I have already tried the web app for B-Series propeller and used it to model my propeller. But, it is just like a black box so that I'm not sure it can give me a exact model with limited inputs comparing to the propeller drawing (attachment). If it could cover all the important information like pitch distribution and expended outline, I would like to use it and it would help me a lot...

Best regards

Shuguang Wang

post-1166-0-98539500-1566955481_thumb.png