Mr. Leo Lazauskas

Unusual Surface Effect Ships

I have written some programs that predict the total resistance, squat and wave patterns of some standard and non-standard surface effect ships.

These vessels can have several hulls and several air-cushions in a variety of arrangements; the seals are modelled as curved planing surfaces.
Is there any way to use tools within the Friendship System to optimise these vessels, or are they just too unusual?

Thank you for a splendid web site, a great collection of tools and an informative forum!

Hi Leo,

Yes of course, it is possible to connect your tools to CAESES.

The most easiest way would probably be to use the Software Connector of CAESES.

Have you already checked out the shipped samples and tutorials? (see tutorials tab in the Document Browser)

I'd like to draw your attention to the tutorials "Geometry Variation" and "External Software". They should give you a good idea of what can be accomplished with the Software Connector and how it is done.

Best regards

Ben

Dear Lazauskas

How happy it is to see you here!

As explained by Ben, all can be possible.

Two things must be considered.

1. If the external program like Mitchlet has no command file to make it run without manual mouse clicking or key putting, the automatic process could not be performed. Fortunately, however, I have heard that there exists an extra simple code which provides a batchmode run for Mitchlet. Then we can use that batchfile to trigger the program. Of coirse the output must be produced by the program in a file. I believe you know this already.

2. As far as I know, CAESES has the limitation of iteration number for the full optimization. So before getting into final case CAESES should be upgraded to Friendship-Framework.

Other geometric issues will be surely and properly controlled in CAESES or FFW.

Let's be in contact.

Best regards

Daehwan.

Dear Lazauskas

How happy it is to see you here!

As explained by Ben, all can be possible.

Two things must be considered.

1. If the external program like Mitchlet has no command file to make it run without manual mouse clicking or key putting, the automatic process could not be performed. Fortunately, however, I have heard that there exists an extra simple code which provides a batchmode run for Mitchlet. Then we can use that batchfile to trigger the program. Of coirse the output must be produced by the program in a file. I believe you know this already.

2. As far as I know, CAESES has the limitation of iteration number for the full optimization. So before getting into final case CAESES should be upgraded to Friendship-Framework.

Other geometric issues will be surely and properly controlled in CAESES or FFW.

Let's be in contact.

Best regards

Daehwan.

Thanks, Daehwan.

1. The SES programs are run via a simple command line (with parameters).

2. Yes, I undestand some of the issues users have with running the free graphics versions of Michlet.

I have batch-mode, command line versions, however, they are only available to my coterie of friends and

colleagues: I have my own "friendship" group too! :)

Leo.

Hi Leo,

If you need specific support, let me know. What kind of discretization do you need for your tools?

Thanks, Claus.

The discretizations are very simple.

Hulls and pressure distributions are modelled with simple equally-spaced rectangular grids.

The planing surfaces are modelled on a cosine-spaced rectangular mesh.

If I need help I will back to you after I spend time looking at the capabilities in the free version.

All the best,

Leo.