Mr. Lu Miao

automotive wheel

Hello

I am going to build a parametric model of wheels from my stl file, and after importing the stl file in CAESES, I have no idea how to define some parameters, like

the wheel radium, wheel width , wheel rim and spoke geometries and so on, And I didnot find any tutorials relating to build model from a stl file.

So could someone give me some tipps

thank you very much

Lu Miao

Hallo Mr. Miao,

to get a parametric model in CAESES you have to rebuild your tire import (alternatively you can use Free Form Deformation, but that is not available in the Free version. Also i think it's not a good solution in this case).

To get an idea how it could be done i would recommend you to do the "Parametric Contour" tutorial. Then create a tire contour and use a "Sweep Surface" to create it.

Best Regards

Willy

Hi Lu,

maybe you can start simple and create a imagetrimesh from your imported stl. And use a scaling transformation to change the radius. Attached is a sample file. In the meantime we take care about the license.

best regards

Carsten

Hi Dear Carsten

thank you for your files and idea, It is really a nice way to get start, now I can use a scaling transformation to change the radius and the width of the wheel,  but for me more important things is , also to change the spoke (numbers,size, shape) and as well the rim, and I was thinking, the spokes is similar like a propeller with some blades, but based on the tutorial of blade, I could not change my wheel spokes and rim.  do you think it is still possible to do it just from some stl files?

Regards

Lu

Hi Lu,

to be honest, it seems to be relatively difficult, to change the number of rims with some sort of transformation. Changing the shape of the rims should be easy with our freeform deformation.

So if changing the number of rims is really important, you should think about creating a fully parametric model of the wheel.

best regards

Carsten

Hallo Mr. Miao,

to get a parametric model in CAESES you have to rebuild your tire import (alternatively you can use Free Form Deformation, but that is not available in the Free version. Also i think it's not a good solution in this case).

To get an idea how it could be done i would recommend you to do the "Parametric Contour" tutorial. Then create a tire contour and use a "Sweep Surface" to create it.

Best Regards

Willy

Hello Dear Willy

I have tried your suggestion. And for my situation, I need not only to change the tire contour, but also like the number of spokes, the shape of spokes and the size of tire and so on, there are totally 12 parameters can be change, and in the tutorial, i found that all the geometries are very simple like a blade or hub. so do you think that i can creat a full-parametric complex tire in CAESAE scussefully?

thank you so much

Lu

Hi Lu,

Can you post some pictures or even an example geometry (IGES, STL, STEP)? Makes it easier to recommend modeling approaches... At any rate it sounds like an interesting application for CAESES.

Cheers

Joerg

Hi Lu,

Can you post some pictures or even an example geometry (IGES, STL, STEP)? Makes it easier to recommend modeling approaches... At any rate it sounds like an interesting application for CAESES.

Cheers

Joerg

hey this is the wheel and the parameters i would like to change with CAESES, and I have only STL file or catia file of that, do you think it is posisble to creat such a wheel in CAESES from scratch with 12 parameters, or could I import my stl file to do it ?

thx

post-705-0-33744400-1473335833_thumb.png

Hi Lu,

Thanks for these pictures, at least to me it is much clearer now. A parametric geometry model with your parameters can be set up rather quickly for this in CAESES. For the spokes I can even think about interesting shape variations that get controlled in radial direction (yes, similar to a blade), e.g. for aerodynamic optimization.

Cheers

Joerg

Hi Lu,

Thanks for these pictures, at least to me it is much clearer now. A parametric geometry model with your parameters can be set up rather quickly for this in CAESES. For the spokes I can even think about interesting shape variations that get controlled in radial direction (yes, similar to a blade), e.g. for aerodynamic optimization.

Cheers

Joerg

Hello Dear Joerg

Thank you very much for the quick answer and I am happy to hear the good new.

yes I think it could be better with more other parameters than what I described. So do you think it is no problem to create a so detailed and good quality wheel ?

I am doing this for academic work for my phd  project,  could you please maybe  tell me the budget of that and then I can talk with my supervisor, since for my project we do not have money for that ,so

if it is not so expensive maybe it is possible, otherwise I have to do all by myself.

thx

Lu Miao