Mr. Md Shahriar Nizam

Control points to surface creation

Hello All,

I do have some points means coordinates in the following form.

x1,y1,z1

x2,y2,z2

x3,y3,z3

xN,yN,zN

I want to make a surface from this points.

Can anybody give me any suggestion how can i make a surface from these point? It would be better for me if anybody can give an example for this problem also.

Thank you,

Md Shahriar Nizam

Hi,

Do you want to interpolate these points (is it a point cloud?), or is a NxM point array - i.e control polygon - given that shall be used to create a bspline surface?

Cheers

Joerg

Hi Shahriar,

how are you doing?

please find attached a project where you can find to ways:

• Option 1:
    • You have your points already in CAESES and you want to create a surface by using these points
    • Therefor you can create an empty point-based surface like a Nurbs-Surface or a B-Spline-Surface
    • Put your points as an input into the list of control vertices of the surface given as 2D array like [p1, p2, p3] , [p4, p5. p6],...
  • Option 2:
    • You can use the feature definition to import point data
    • The feature automatically creates a Nurbs-Surface and a B-Spline-Surface
    • As an input you need the file-path and the number of Points in V direction

I hope this is what you are asking for. If you have further questions do not hesitate to ask!

Cheers

Matthias

surface_creation.fdb

Hello Matthias and Joerg,

Thank you for the mail. But one thing more. Can you suggest me the way to import points in framework from a .csv or xl file. I am adding some points here. Is it possible to insert all these point at a time? Here i have attached a sample file.(i have tried to upload a xl file but it did not worked that is why i am giving the sample points at the end of the text)

From your last post now i can make surfaces from the points. Right now i will have to insert some points. if i can do it then i can easily make a surface.

Thank you for your help. 

Regards,

Md Shahriar Nizam

sample points

Hi Shahriar,

so far the feature can only read *.csv and *.txt by passing the external file to the feature definition in Option_2 > point_data_import.

Let me think about the *.xl option.

Cheers

Matthias

Hello,

I am a beginner user of framework.

I am facing some problem with the following attachments.

1) In picture there is some exclamatory sign. how can i get rid of those signs?

2) In attachment there is a framework file. i want to make a bulb there but it is getting hard for me to understand how to make a bulb there. That means how can i make a bulbous bow?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Md Shahriar Nizam

test1.fdbc

post-202-0-42983000-1406196836_thumb.jpg

Hey Shahriar,

Hello Matthhias,

Yes you are write. But unfortunately each time i am trying it is not working. Can you please use this attached file and import the points??

Thank you,

Md Shahriar Nizam

here you can find a project and two feature definitions for import and export of point data.

Please try it and I think this should solve your import of point data problem :-)

Hello,

I am a beginner user of framework.

I am facing some problem with the following attachments.

1) In picture there is some exclamatory sign. how can i get rid of those signs?

Sincerely,

Md Shahriar Nizam

You can use the filter buttons on the lower edge of your 3DView. Just click on the button with the same sign and they will not be shown anymore.

Unfortunately I can't open your Project file at the moment, but I am pretty sure there is a problem with the surface itself.

Maybe Matthias can take a look.

Cheers,

Karsten

Hey Shahriar,

please find attached some files.

1) Import point data:

In principle the import of points with the attached feature definition should work (and it works for me!).

Feature definition: Import_Point_Data.fdf

The problem is that you have to take care of the number of points and the orientation in the 3D space. In your attached csv I could find 69 points. This would allow to create a surface with 1, 3, 23 or 69 points in U or V direction. Unfortunately there are some "unfavorable" points in the file which makes it impossible to create a valid surface.

First I deleted all the points with z=0 (three points) since all the other points are far away from these. I also deleted some points in the "middle" to make sure that there are a constant number of points for every array of points with a constant x-value. In the end there are 60 points left in the file. So the number of points in V direction is 20 and finally I have a wonderful ???overhang-hull-part??? :-D

New csv-file: new_new.zip

New project for import point data: surface_creation.fdb

2) Create bulbous bow:

In the attached file I created a quasi-parametric bulbous bow depending on the given points. Additionally I created some non-parametric surfaces in the foreship depending on the given points, too.

To create a fully parametric bow you have to replace all the functions which are depending on the given points by suitable curves like FSplines.

Project with bulbous bow: test1.fdb

If you need further help please do not hesitate to ask!

Cheers

Matthias

Hello Matthias,

Thank you for your mail.

1) Thank you for this information. Does it mean that if we have 5 stations and if the stations have 10,15,16,12 and 17 points then it is hard to import them directly. So what i will have to do is to make it 5 X 10 points then import them and later we will import rest of the points. Is it right?

2) I have also made a bulb from these point but i prefer your technique.

a) How you have made this feature definition? Is it a customize feature definition? If so then how can i learn to make this kind of definition?

b)In the engine of 02_bulbous_bow you have used keel elevation,top elevation, keel tangent,keel are and top area. How you have made this lines from the existing point?

Again thank you for your mail. I do appreciate it.

Thank you,

Shahriar

Hi Shahriar,

1) The IMPORT of points is not the problem and it should work with every file which has the correct format. But after importing the points into CAESES it is not possible to create a valid surface automatically. To do so, you have to take care about the number points per station which should be constant for a nurbs- or bspline surface.

Please find attached a feature which simply imports points from a file: Import_Point_Data_NEW.fdf

To use the feature please follow the next points:

• Download the feature
  • Open a new feature definition via Features > New Definition
  • In the feature-window you can reload the feature via General > Reload
  • Apply the feature and close the window
  • In your CAD-Tree you will find a new feature definition "fd1". With right click on the feature definition > Execute Definition a new window pops up.
  • Please choose the path to your csv-file by clicking on the scope-symbol
  • Execute the definition

This will import the points into the baseline-scope. You can now use these points to create a surface manually. To do so so you can for example connect all the points in one station with a nurbs curve, a bspline curve or an interpolation curve. After that you can for example create a lofted surface.

2)

• Yes, it is customized. In order to learn how to create a feature definition and a meta surface please do some tutorials like the yacht tutorial.

• I used the existing points to create interpolation curves which I used then as function curves for a meta surface. If you want to learn how to create a bulbous bow please have a look into this advanced-training-pdf: FS_TRAINING_bulbous_bow.pdf

Cheers

Matthias