Britton Ward

MetaSurface -> NURBSsurface

Hi,

I have a feature that requires a BSpline or a NURBS surface as input.

I want to use a metasurface as the input but my feature will not accept this.

If I click on the metasurface and then create a NURBS surface this creates a NURBS representation that works with my feature but this is not persistent and does not update when I update the metasurface.

Is there a simple way to create a FNurbsSurface from a Metasurface that updates as the Metasurface updates?

Thanks,

Britt

HI Britt,

What is the input type of the argument in your feature? Maybe it's a FNurbsSurface and not a FSurface? The feature should accept the MetaSurface for the latter one.

Cheers

Claus

Hi Britt,

the issue that Claus raised would also be the first point on my list. If possible, set the argument of the feature to accept FSurface, so that you are free to use whatever surface type you want.

If it is not possible, or for other cases in general, you can create a very small feature that takes the Metasurface as input and creates a NURBS or BSpline surface. Basically, what you have do manually, but since the creation command is inside the feature, it will be re-executed every time the input Metasurface changes.

Cheers,

Mattia

Thanks for the fast feedback.

My feature can take either FBsplineSurface or FNurbsurface as input because it needs to operate on the knot vectors etc.  I tried to use the generic FSurface but that caused errors accordingly.

I'll try to create the simple feature Mattia describes and give that a go.

Thanks,

Britt

Britt,

Just take the surface as the input type and then create the Bsplinesurface in your feature using the metaSurface as the argument, i.e. BsplineSurface myInternallyUsedSurface(myMetaSurfaceAsArgument).

You can control the number of vertices of that new surface by the U and V resolution of the MetaSurface. And set the feature to "recreate on update" in the general tab.

Cheers

Claus

Hi Britton,

I just dropped in here and I think you are right.

Asurface that has at least an internal nurbs representation (like meta surfaces) should be usable as nurbs.

I will discuss this internally, but I am pretty sure we will come up with a solution for the upcomming 3.1 release (something like implicit usage of the internal nurbs representation if requested).

Cheers,

Stefan

Hi Mr & Mrs

Sorry to interrupt that I have one question

Does any efficient way provides to change the import geometry in FBrepPart into FNurbSurface for hydrostatic calculation, hull variation and also lackenbyshift purposes?