Rizuan Razali

Image surface with Breps

Greeting everyone,

Currently, I am trying to do optimization of a hull form that consists of many surfaces. Then I put all the surfaces together using "breps". However, when I tried to generate an image surface at the source part, it looked like I had failed to put "Breps" as the source for the image surface. I have attached a picture below for your reference. What can I do to put that "Breps" as the source? I hope you guys can help me with this problem. Thank you.

Brep.jpg

Hi Rizuan,

An image surface only accepts surfaces as input, no BReps.

image.png.dc56f16e093a083a309f76e2ead67db4.png

You can have images of individual BRep patches (or their underlying, untrimmed NURBS surfaces, to be more precise) by setting "brep1.getSurfaces(0)" as a source. Obviously, 0 can be replaced by any other surface ID... Here is an example:

image.thumb.png.6ee6fb350ac8926d42ed00959a8dc77a.png

Note, that the underlying surface of the circular patch is actually rectangular (That's what BReps -- "boundary representation" -- are there for, after all).

Hope this sheds some light onto the topic. Why is it, that you wanted to create an image, anyway? Maybe there is a different way to get what you are after.

Best regards
Heinrich

Hi, Mr. Heinrich,

First of all, thank you for your reply.

I wanted to create an image surface of my initial hull to do the optimization by using the Lankendby method in order to find the optimum hull form. However, this time the initial hull form consists of many surfaces, approximately 180 surfaces, as I attached below. It is complicated to do image surface 1 by 1 of the initial hull. 

1058576891_Brep1.thumb.jpg.739b6a19b496235442675e6df354f296.jpg

I already tried your suggestion, but it also makes an image surface from a single surface, not all the surfaces that I put in breps.

1118263070_Brep2.thumb.jpg.7b56b6932e14734bfeaff0e580622e43.jpg

best regards,

Rizuan

Dear Rizuan,

yes, indeed -- an image surface will always be an image of only one individual surface. You can wrap multiple surfaces into a surface group. An image surface group would then allow you to transform all of them at once. Alternatively, you can use a BRep which also accepts transformations and can have multiple sources.

Best regards,
Heinrich