Mr. Stefan CFD

Trimesh from imported trimmed IGES surfaces

Hello,

I am trying to build a trimesh for the JBC hull by importing IGES file format surfaces.

The trimmed surfaces are rendered back as if they were never trimmed.

One solution I found is to import in STEP format, resulting a BrepPart. However, the adaptive tessellation feature can't be controlled as in the case of a NurbsSurface.

How this issue can be resolved?

Many thanks,

Stefan

post-900-0-64956700-1505889215_thumb.png

Hi Stefan,

you can change the tesselation in the display option directly on the Brep Part. When you put this Brep into a triMesh the tesselation is used directly from the brep.

best regards

Carsten

Yes indeed, thank you!

Though, I wonder if there is another way, because I've seen a PDF, "From IGES to STL", that's giving advices to mesh Duisburg Test Case (DTC) hull.

I know for sure that this hull's having trimmed surfaces at least in the aft body part, precisely at propeller shaft intersecting the hull.

Thank you!

Hi Stefan,

now I don't get your point. You can use any brep to convert to stl, no matte if it is trimmed or not. I am not seeing your problem.

Carsten

I was thinking of blade analysis feature that requires as an input NURBS/BSpline surfaces. Suppose you import a trimmed blade face.

But, this is another topic.

Thank you

Ah ok, no we can not create a "new" Nurbs surface from a trimmed one.

regards

Carsten

I didn't tried, but maybe a subSuface of it? Or I have to build again in Rhino3D, for example, the actual surface?

Thank you!

Hi Stefan,

in case of a propeller blade I don't know why to use trimmed surfaces. A subsurface from a brep will not work. So the only case, where I can think of problems is the blade analysis, but here trimmed surface can be avoided pretty easy I guess.

best regards

Carsten

Hi Stefan,

in case of a propeller blade I don't know why to use trimmed surfaces. A subsurface from a brep will not work. So the only case, where I can think of problems is the blade analysis, but here trimmed surface can be avoided pretty easy I guess.

best regards

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Look at the green colored blade face how it's over-lapping with the grey colored one.

The yellow curve is the edge of the blades if they were untrimmed.

post-215-0-40199000-1506014771_thumb.png

post-215-0-27835400-1506014792_thumb.png

In the second image the control points of the nurbs surface is activated.

I was thinking to import in CAESES the boundary curves as well as two nurbs surfaces and trim them back. Otherwise, the BladeAnalysis feature is giving erroneous results.

Sure, I can rebuild the surfaces, but it's taking far too long.

Best regards,

Stefan

PS: This is off-topic already, can you modify accordingly the title? 

Later edit:

The only way I suppose this will work, is by importing as BrepsParts and Extract Surfaces and Boundary Curves, however, the results are not as expected:

post-215-0-22881200-1506018343_thumb.png

blade-face.fdbc

Hi Stefan,

Maybe you can try to use image surfaces: take the larger surface of your blade, and change the U or V domain to make it smaller. post-8-0-37433900-1507700482_thumb.png If there is no overlapping left, the blade analysis should work again.

Cheers

Joerg