Mr. Zheng Liu

problem in creating an asymmetry volute model

Dear all,

I would like to create an asymmetry volute model (see attached pictures).  When I was creating the tongue region of  the volute. I found the surface was not smooth and not connected with the guide lines. Then I found the 'guide line' (pic 2 in attachment) was also not a smooth curve. Therefore I cannot create a closed surface. I do not know what causing this problem, anyone can help me?  Much appreciate if you can go thorough the fbdc file to figure out the reason.

Many thanks,

Zheng

post-790-0-52831800-1483377280_thumb.png

post-790-0-92311900-1483377286_thumb.png

volute_new.fdbc

Hi Zheng,

nice project. The idea how you create the intersection curve with the feature is good, but leads to problems. Since the speed of the parametrisation of the volute surface changes in the middle, because you have a polycurve in your crosssection definition, you would have to create much more points in the domain, to approximate the correct domain curve. It is much easier, when you create an intersection curve and then get the domain curve from this withe the command .getdomaincurve().

Also you can create two offsetsurfaces, to get the offset domain curves. Attached is an example how you can do this.

After you have modified the domain curves to your needs and created a nice surfacecurve, you can also use this surfacecurves as rail curves in your metasurface. This will make sure, that the metasurface exactly matches this surfacecurves.

If you have further questions let me know.

best regards

Carsten

volute_new_cf.fdbc

post-85-0-17539800-1483433013_thumb.png

Hi Carsten,

Happy new year and thanks very for your help! That really works for me. A smooth surface is able to be created. Now I have to modify the domain curves to complete the tongue surface.  

Best Regards,

Zheng