Mr. Edan Baltman

How to avoid geometry overlap?

Hello

I am attempting to model a 2-dimensional, 3-element airfoil and have the Sobol engine create variants. I was wondering how I could ensure that the sobol engine doesn't create two of the elements on top of each other. In other words I don't want a variant to have overlapping or intersecting airfoil profiles. Is it possible for CAESES to verify if two curves are intersecting and avoid creating a sobol variant if that is the case? I have defined each airfoil with a 4 parameters: chord (scale), angle of attack (rotation), x and y position (translation). 

Thank you in advance for you help.

Hi Edan,

I created a simple example where I use a curveIntersectionPoint to calculate the shortest distance between two curves.

There are probably a hundred other methodes to do that but this one felt natural for me.

Anyway, the sobol itself is just doing his thing so it will create invalid variants. But if you do not want a computation running in designs with overlapping curves, you can set a constraint at the computation so it will only run if the constraint is valid.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Stefan

distanceBetweenCurves.fdb

Hi Edam,

to add to Stefan's post, here is another thread that was dealing with 3-element airfoils. In my response there you can find an example where I set up internal optimization loops (without variant creation) to keep a specified distance between the single elements.

Cheers and merry Christmas,

Mattia

Thank you Stefan and Mattia for your responses. Stefan could you elaborate on how I would avoid running a computation on an undesirable design? Is it not possible for the Sobol to reject a design that does not meet the constraints? If so is it possible to create a function that would check the Sobol designs for invalid designs and then delete those and run the sobol again until there were enough valid designs. 

Hey Erdan,

Stefan could you elaborate on how I would avoid running a computation on an undesirable design?

You can set the constraint directly at your computation object. post-41-0-62710000-1452506981_thumb.png

If the constraint is violated the computation won't be triggert.

If so is it possible to create a function that would check the Sobol designs for invalid designs and then delete those and run the sobol again until there were enough valid designs.

It is not possible to delete designs from a run. You could start the sobol from a specific design using the Sequence argument and run it again.

Or you can use the result pool and rerun the sobol with more designs.

Hope this solves your problem .

Cheers,

Karsten