Ms. Yanxin Feng

How to change the UV-Orientation of MetaSurface?

Hello everyone,

I came into some problems when I tried to create a polysurface. Here is my situation:

I want to get a watertight ship hull. But there are some openings between the surfaces. So I tried to merge the surfaces together to get rid of openings. Creating polysurfaces between B-Splinesurfaces is fine. But when I tried to merge the metasurface with another imagesurface together. I just found I couldn't change the UV-Orientation of those surfaces.

Is there any way to change it? Or is there any other way to close the openings in CAESES?

Thanks  advanced!

Best,

Yanxin Feng

Hallo Ms. Feng,

Unfortunatly it is only possible to change the UV-Orientation of point based surfaces, as you said about your B-spline surfaces.

Maybe you can try to close the openings with fillet surfaces.

Greetings

Willy

Hi, Willy!

Thank you for your advice. I tried the fillet surface. But I have to change the UV-Revolution value into 1 to get rid of the white"!" marks.

Is that any influence to the following trimesh on those surfaces?

Best,

Yanxin.

Hi,

Actually, it seems that from your modeling approach something is not fully correct if you have gaps. The best thing would be to understand what's going on, why you have these warnings. Anyway, you can also use the snapping mechanisms of a trimesh to close these automatically.

Hey,

I'am not completly sure what you mean by UV-Revolution but a way to change the diraction of U or V is to create an image surface and change the doman fom [0,1] to [1,0].

The exclamation marks don't necesserily have to cause trouble when you creat a trimesh but it is very likely.

Greetings,

Willy

Hi,

Actually, it seems that from your modeling approach something is not fully correct if you have gaps. The best thing would be to understand what's going on, why you have these warnings. Anyway, you can also use the snapping mechanisms of a trimesh to close these automatically.

Hi, Joerg!

Here is my project, Please check the gaps on the hull. I also generated a trimesh automatically without merging the surface groups into one.Thanks!

Best,

Yanxin

Cruiseship1310.fdbc

post-460-0-29080000-1444899400_thumb.png

Hey,

I'am not completly sure what you mean by UV-Revolution but a way to change the diraction of U or V is to create an image surface and change the doman fom [0,1] to [1,0].

The exclamation marks don't necesserily have to cause trouble when you creat a trimesh but it is very likely.

Greetings,

Willy

Hi,Willy!

I will show you my problems with the two screen shots as following:

Best,

Yanxin

post-460-0-06863600-1444899854_thumb.png

post-460-0-31164000-1444899864_thumb.png

HI Yanxin,

i had a look at your file and your screenshots and fixed the problems. Therefore see the attached file.

The gaps are probably a result of the IGES import and the high number of surfaces, this problem could be solved by remodeling the bulb using a meta surface, similar to what you did at the front of the bulb.
But an easy solution for now, is changing the snapping options of the trimesh (error and tolerance), that is what I have done in the attached file. Furthermore I changed one of your coons patches, so it is not showing you any more errors (see Screen).
The setting for the U- and v-Resolution you mentioned are just a matter of how the surface is displayed. If there is a problem/error with a surface changing these setting cannot fix them.

Best,
Simon

Cruiseship.fdbc

post-326-0-38886100-1444910765_thumb.png

HI Yanxin,

i had a look at your file and your screenshots and fixed the problems. Therefore see the attached file.

The gaps are probably a result of the IGES import and the high number of surfaces, this problem could be solved by remodeling the bulb using a meta surface, similar to what you did at the front of the bulb.

But an easy solution for now, is changing the snapping options of the trimesh (error and tolerance), that is what I have done in the attached file. Furthermore I changed one of your coons patches, so it is not showing you any more errors (see Screen).

The setting for the U- and v-Resolution you mentioned are just a matter of how the surface is displayed. If there is a problem/error with a surface changing these setting cannot fix them.

Best,

Simon

Hi, Simon!

Thank you so much for your help. I downloaded your project. But it shows nothing in the interface of CAESES. :( Dont know what is wrong...

post-460-0-09319300-1444913789_thumb.png