Ms. Dimitrios Makris

Surface modelling

Hello everyone,

I am trying to model surfaces and I was wondering which would be the best way to join different surfaces without curvature discontinuity. I am up to using coons patch with continuous boundary curves (nearby curves in respective directions between two coons) as well as fillet surfaces between lofted surfaces. Maybe there is also a third option with overlapping surfaces. I have already created parametric NURBS so curve engines are not so useful at the time. Are there any other good working alternatives?

Regards,

Makris Dimitrios

PS : I cannot find a way to isolate a curve part between two interpolation points (with a specific abscissa for example). Is there any?

Hi Makris,

See the attachment: Are you able to define a NURBS curve like this? The distance between the connected points needs to be the same, then you will get a curvature continuous transition.

Interpolation Curve: You can isolate parts by using the ft() command of curves. By providing the abscissa/ordinate information of the interpolated point(s), it returns the curve parameter for the intersection. Then, use the two curve parameters as input for an image curve (restrict the image curve's domain).

Cheers

Joerg

post-8-0-05755000-1363766651_thumb.png

Dear Joerg,

The only curves that I have modeled by NURBS curves are the sections, so I have no control points that affect the continuity between two different surfaces. I am thinking of trying some hybrid methods!! The curve part isolation trick was really helpful. Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Dimitrios