CJ Coll

CAESES & StarCCM+ Connection Question

I am having trouble connecting CAESES to star-CCM. I have input a java and batch file to run the simulation but I keep getting the error code below. 

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.ceb4bee3596f53cc56bd393f170d3edf.png

Hello CJ Coll,

It seems that there is a problem with the Argument and its order inside your Connector. 

First, I would check, if your simfile from StarCCM+ is located in the same location as your CAESES project file. Afterwards, import the setup file into your Input Files Window and double-click on it to directly import it into your connector. Now, you should have the possibility to edit the java file also in CAESES directly.

Then, you can import the simfile and reference the absolute path inside window "Filename". Please use quotation-marks when adding a path as an argument: "-----your-path----".

After this is done, you can use following argument as the Connector's Argument:

"-batch ----your-setup-file----.java -np 2 -rsh ssh -power -licpath 1999@flex.cd-adapco.com -podkey ----your-podkey---- " + getResultsDir() + "/----your-sim-file----.sim"

I hope that will help you with the issue. If not, don't hesitate to ask further questions. 

Best regards,

Johannes 

Thank you Johannes, I have entered your suggested argument into my batch file but when I run the connection, it only seems to open StarCCM application, then nothing happens.

My Batch file -

"-batch TripleRun_1.java -np 2 -rsh ssh -power -licpath 1999@flex.cd-adapco.com -podkey MYCODE" + getResultsDir() + "/D:/Dissertation/StarCCM simulation run/Original HPW 30-01-24.sim"

Any suggestions ?

This was my initial Batch file that said it could not start StarCCM -

"D:\STARCCM\17.06.008\STAR-CCM+17.06.008\star\lib\win64\clang11.1vc14.2\lib\starccmw.exe" -batch D:/Dissertation/StarCCM simulation run/TripleRun_1.java -np 2 D:/Dissertation/StarCCM simulation run/Original HPW 30-01-24.sim -power -licpath 1999@flex.cd-adapco.com -podkey MYCODE

Hello CJ Coll,

If you already imported the simfile into the connector by referencing the absolute path from it inside the window "Filename", you don't need to add the absolute path anymore inside the argument. If "Original HPW 30-01-24.sim" is your simfile you would just need to add:

"/Original HPW 30-01-24.sim" after "getResultsDir() +", since it copies the simfile into the connector folder when importing it. 

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Johannes

Thank you Johannes, I really do appreciate the help, but I am still running into problems. I just want to check I have everything set up correctly.

1. The application path is correct to the executable application on my computer 
  2. The argument is correctly set up to open StarCCM, then my simulations, and then run my Java file.
  3. All the required files are in the same initial folder
  4. Do I have to double-click on the .sim file to save it as a results directory used in the argument? (If I do this it comes with a message that the .sim file is too large

image.thumb.png.051325e78c69f30e3bf72ebb0e770d82.png

I have also attached the two different error codes I am getting

image.thumb.png.5eaf9cc09403447cc32d7c0cd5c281b8.png

image.thumb.png.8b90b4bd08249d9e6af996e74b8d3d98.png

Hello CJ Coll,

The Argument set-up looks correct, as does the executable path. At this point, I would need to see your local folder and macro file in order to help you in this specific case. 

But I could give you some advice, how I would troubleshoot the problem:

- Store all the input files (.stl, .sim and .java) in the same location as the CAESES project file. 

- In the macro file, you can then just use the name of your input stl file instead of referencing the absolute path, like in this case it would just be "basis...4.stl"

- Try to avoid spaces when naming objects, since this can lead to errors sometimes (e.g. "Original HPW 30-01-24.sim")