Gustaf Magnander

how to manipulate a ruled surface?

Hi, 
I'm modeling a ship hull and have generated a ruled surface between two generic curves (see the attached figures). However as you can see the surface doesn't look good slightly forward of LOA/2 and forward to the stem. The surface also bends inward, creating a curved surface and I'm wondering how I can fix these issues. I want the surface to be completely flat between the two generic curves and thought that a ruled surface should work, but I do not really know if a ruled surface is the best choice and if it can be controlled like I want to. If anyone can explain how I can control the surface and make it completely flat that would be great.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Gustaf

ruled_surface_1.PNG

ruled_surface_notFlat_1.PNG

Hej Gustaf,

Can you create a ticket in the helpdesk https://helpdesk.caeses.com/ and share your project file, please?

Looks like the parametrization is different to what you would like to achieve. The ruled surface connects the curves at the same parameter values, hence you can manipulate them by changing the parametrization, e.g. unit speed or even custom.

Cheers

Claus

Hi Claus,
Thank you for your reply!
I already created a ticket concerning this this hull, however not about the issues connected to the the ruled surface, and have got help from Fabian Thies who looks at the ship in general terms, so I can ask him more about the ruled surface tomorrow if I'm not satisfied after playing with the parameterization. 

Kind regards,
Gustaf  

On 11/13/2023 at 10:31 PM, Gustaf Magnander said:

Hi, 
I'm modeling a ship hull and have generated a ruled surface between two generic curves (see the attached figures). However as you can see the surface doesn't look good slightly forward of LOA/2 and forward to the stem. The surface also bends inward, creating a curved surface and I'm wondering how I can fix these issues. I want the surface to be completely flat between the two generic curves and thought that a ruled surface should work, but I do not really know if a ruled surface is the best choice and if it can be controlled like I want to. If anyone can explain how I can control the surface and make it completely flat that would be great.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Gustaf

ruled_surface_1.PNG

Hi, Gustaf. Can you teach me the surface to the stem, I don know how to make the surface end at a arc. I will be appreciate it If you can help me !