Mr. Amitava Guha

CAESES integration with STAR CCM+ installed in a cluster (Supercomputer)

Hi,

I have just started learning CAESES. I would like to use STAR CCM+ installed in the university supercomputer and integrate it with CAESES. There is a tutorial on how to integrate CAESES/ FFW with STAR CCM+ using GUI based Java macro, but I was wondering if it is possible to do the same in the console environment in Linux installed in the supercomputer.

If there is any tutorial available for connecting the cluster using SSH and then connecting the STAR CCM+ simulation to the CAESES/FFW, please let me know. Else, I would appreciate if someone can give me a detailed guideline to set up the simulation.

Thank you for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Amitava

Hi Amitava

Before coupling CAESES-FFW and STARCCM+ you have to set up the working environment.

When you install CAESES-FFW in the same computer with STARCCM+ then we can start talking about the connection job.

In the case that each of the software is installed in the different computer like your situation now, we have to use sshResourceManager to make the two software communicate.  The install files and guidebook are in the folder : .../tools/sshResourceManager.

If this working circumstance is not prepared the connection is unavailable.

And CAESES does not support full iteration for optimization. As far as I know just 4 variants could be generated by the optimization engines.

The pro version of CAESES, i.e. FRIENDSHIP-Framework is needed to get to the end of your research with regard to optimization.

Best regards

Daehwan.

Hi Amitava,

Actually, the SshResourceManager cannot be used with the free CAESES edition.

You can, however, use ssh as an executable for the integration and issue the command to execute as an argument of the computation. This requires ssh to work without a password. So, if you want to execute "date" over ssh, for example, you would set "ssh" as the executable of the LocalApplication and set the arguments of the computation to "user@host date".

Arne

Thank you Mr. Lorentz, Mr. Bergmann and Mr. Daehwan Park for your help. I have requested for a student license and waiting for the license teams response. In the mean time it would be very helpful if I could get some study materials which would help me connect Star CCM+ and learn how to perform a simple optimization task. 

I have already gone through the tutorial available in the software. However, a remote application based tutorial will certainly help.

Best,

Amitava

Hey Amitava,

right now we don't have a written tutorial for connecting CAESES/ FFW and Star CCM+ but we have prepared a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8wDDkPLlKQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0GfNDj5JIoBWR-YUFQ_xMA

I hope this helps solving your problem.

There are more videos e.g. general modelling.

Regards,

Karsten

Hi Carsten,

Sorry for so late reply. Was busy with another project for a few days which just ended. I will be getting back to FFW soon. Please send me the document you prepared. I am currently looking for simpler structures, but finally interested in modeling a parametric model of ship hull. If you know any such FFW documentation which deals with ship hull, please let me know.

Appreciate your help.

Best,

Amitava