Hi Carsten,

Correct me if I am wrong but I think impeller are used to impart energy to the fluid (i.e. increase enthalpy) and the blade profile that are to be used in turbine should be energy extracting one resulting in decrease in enthalpy of flowing fluid. So, what should be the modification in the impeller blade to make it a power generating one for turbine?

Hi Bikash,

It is very hard to know which type of turbine will be the best without runnning your own model into CFD programs.
I would start by recent publications and current manufacturers of Axial Hydro Turbines.

Some starting point would be:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610215005615
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0360544287901204
From recent publications you can have an idea of what the state of the art ayial hydro turbines currently look like.
After that you can connect your CFD code to CAESES and optimise your model.
Carsten mentioned a very good tutorial to create your own geometry, a starting point to your future optimisations. Just adapt it to your needs along your study.

Best regards,
Paulo Macedo

Hi there,

thanks Paulo for helping out with this interesting papers.

The term impeller is just a general description for turbomachinery blades. Turbine blades are also some kind of impeller.

With the method described in the video, you can create turbine-, compressor- & fan blades. The stream section, which is used to create the camber surface, allows you to set the flow angles (beta angles) or the wrap angles (theta angle).

best regards

Carsten

Hi Paulo,

That indeed helped me a lot. Those papers you mentioned, they have shown me the path in which I shall continue my work, so thank you for the help.

Shout out to Carsten, your help is also appreciated.

• Upvote 1