Hi everyone,

I know there are already some topics related to CAESES + openFOAM, but none of them could solve my problem.

I'm following the tutorial "Propeller with OpenFOAM" and I just got the same error every time I try to run the simulation from CAESES.

It seems to me as if the software is storing the Allrun executable in the wrong folder so that it cannot find the "o,constant,system" folders because they have not the same path.

I got the same error in all log files.

Create time

--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
cannot find file

file: /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/system/controlDict at line 0.

From function regIOobject::readStream()
    in file db/regIOobject/regIOobjectRead.C at line 73.

FOAM exiting

stdouterroroutput :

Moving /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/0.org to /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//0.org
Input move failure, using fallback method to move /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/0.org to /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//0.org
Failed: Cannot open /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/0.org for input
Moving /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/Allrun to /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun
Moving /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/Allrun.pre to /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun.pre
Moving /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/constant to /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//constant
Input move failure, using fallback method to move /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/constant to /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//constant
Failed: Cannot open /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/constant for input
Moving /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/system to /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//system
Input move failure, using fallback method to move /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/system to /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//system
Failed: Cannot open /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/system for input

[Captured output from application /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun]

/home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: line 6: wmUNSET: command not found
cp: cannot create regular file ‘constant/triSurface/’: No such file or directory
Running blockMesh on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner
Running surfaceFeatureExtract on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner
Running snappyHexMesh on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner
Running renumberMesh on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner
Running topoSet on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner
Running createPatch on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner
cp: cannot stat ‘0.org’: No such file or directory
Running decomposePar on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner
sed: can't read system/controlDict: No such file or directory
Running 4 in parallel on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner using  processes
Running reconstructPar on /home/alvaro1553/Desktop/CASES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

post-849-0-35640200-1489802820_thumb.png

Hi Alvaro,

sorry I think this is a Bug in the new Version.

Try to,

-select the Runner

-Go to Local Execution Settings and click on "show more options" (the three dots)

-then toggle "clear Input Directory"

Let me know if it works for you.

best regards

Carsten

• Upvote 1

Guest Mr. Lorenz Krieg

Hi everyone,

I am new to caeses and openfoam and was doing the 01_Sduct_with_OpenFOAM Tutorial.

first I used OpenFAOM 4.x then 3.x and got always the same Error:

--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 

Unknown TurbulenceModel type RASModel

Valid TurbulenceModel types:

(
LES
RAS
laminar
)

when I´m using Foam 2.x its working well.

Is this a known issue and what can I do to get it done on OpenFOAM 4.x ?

Kind Regards,

Lorenz 

Hi Lorenz,

this is the typical OpenFOAM version Issue. With each update the control commands change slightly.

But the error message seams clear to me, just write RAS instead of RASModel. You can have also a look into the OpenFOAM tutorials for example the motor bike, to get the correct syntax

best regards

Carsten

Guest Mr. Lorenz Krieg

Hi Carsten and thanks for your fast reply!

Changing RasModel to Ras was my first idea as well. But it is a little bit more:

FOAM 4 doesen't have the RASModel file and FOAM 2 doesn't have the turbulenceModel file.
So the solution was to copy the entry from the RASModel file to the turbulenceModel file and slightly change the syntax.

This is the turbulenceProperties file now:

FoamFile

{

version 2.0;

format ascii;

class dictionary;

location constant;

object turbulenceProperties;

}

simulationType RAS;

//new: changed RasModel to Ras and added: RAS { entry from RASProperties }

RAS

{

RASModel realizableKE;

turbulence on;

printCoeffs on;

realizableKECoeffs

{

label "Realizable k-\u03B5";

fieldMaps

{

k k;

epsilon epsilon;

nut nut;

}

Cmu 0.09;

A0 4.04;

C1 1.44;

C2 1.9;

alphak 1.0;

alphaEps 1.2;

alphah 1.0;

}

}

When I now start the runner, there is no error within OpenFOAM.

But when I start an optimization, it can't create the pin.dat file, because the entry in the Allrun script "patchAverage p -latestTime sduct_lightpink > pin.dat"

has been superceded by the postProcess utility:    postProcess -func 'patchAverage(name=inlet,p)'

So I tried postProcess -func 'patchAverage(name=sduct_lightpink,p) ' -latestTime > pin.dat in a few variations as a new entry instead. But this didn't work.

Do you know the correct entry of postProcess to create the pin.dat file correctly under FOAM 4 ?

best regards,

Lorenz

Guest Mr. Lorenz Krieg

Hi Carsten,

postProcess -func "patchAverage(sduct_lightpink,p) " -latestTime > pin.dat

now creates a pin.dat file! But with an error (see attachement).

Thanks for your help!

best regards,

Lorenz

Guest Mr. Lorenz Krieg

I'm not permitted for uploads...
Here is the pin.dat entry

// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Create time

Create mesh for time = 10

--> FOAM Warning :
    From function bool Foam::functionObjectList::read()
    in file db/functionObjects/functionObjectList/functionObjectList.C at line 671
    Caught FatalError
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
surfaceRegion patchAverage(sduct_lightpink,p): patch(<patchName>):
    Unknown patch name: <patchName>. Valid patch names are:
(
sduct_darkgray
sduct_lightpink
sduct_purple
)

From function void Foam::functionObjects::fieldValues::surfaceRegion::setPatchFaces()
    in file fieldValues/surfaceRegion/surfaceRegion.C at line 194.

Time = 10

Reading fields:
    volScalarFields: p

Executing functionObjects

End