GK_YD

Trimesh Post-Processing Issues (for .stl STAR-CMM+)

Dear all,

I've created a trimesh (FTrimesh) from a BRep hull geometry, which I'd like to export in an form in order to import it into STAR-CMM+, while also later I'd like to run an hull optimization run.

The first issue is that while the Open Edges option is active, in the 3DView it shows none open edges, while simultaneously it shows that there is 1 Open Edges at the Info panel. This leads to an number of issues while trying setting up the STAR-CMM+ simulation, since it cannot create volume meshes. 

The next question is how can I increase the density of the tessellated geometry, in particular the number of triangles on the created mesh? Is there a way to modify the triangles in other ways, such as isoscales triangles, or similar options? 

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

George.

image.png

Tecopt_v1.cdbc

Hi George,

unfortunately, I am not able to help with the 1 open edge that is shown in the info. But I have two tips which might help in solving your issues:

• Is there a specific reason you want to use a trimesh to transfer the geometry to STAR-CCM+? You can also export BRep geometry directly, see the export menu "STEP (STAR-CCM+)". Using a STEP file works very well, as far as I know, and you can also use coloring for boundary identification, just as with an STL export.
  • You say your trimesh is created from a BRep, in which case you can adjust the tessellation settings at the BRep, see the attached picture.

Cheers,
Mattia

2023-12-22_10h20_22.png

Dear Mattia,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for your input on the subject. The BRep post processing really helped a lot, regarding the tesselation. 

On your first question I don't have yet an answer, however when I tried to import and the .step form I faced the same issues. However, I'd like to experiment a bit more with the post-processing settings and file forms in order to have a clear answer to your question, which is a question of mine too. 

I'll reply on the matter upon further info. Thanks a lot again.

Cheers,

George