KNL21

Boolean operation issue

Hello,

I am trying to create a simple geometry in which a tank has both an inlet and outlet cylinder attached to it. To do this, I created a rectangular profile for the tank and two cylinders at the top and bottom for the inflow/outflow. I want to merge the cylinders with the main tank. The boundary representation I created for the surface defining the tank is used as the source, and I want to use the boolean operation to merge the tank and cylinders in order to cut out the face between the two. This works exactly as intended for the bottom cylinder, but there is a segmentation fault when I try to use the boolean operation on the top cylinder in creating the final surface. I have not been able to debug this issue myself and would like to ask if anyone has any advice or insight into what the problem might be. I've attached the project file here for reference as well. Thank you for your time.

Best,

Katherine Simple_test_geometry_ver4_redo.cdb

Hi Heinrich,

Thank you so much for your help. I see now that the geometry is working with the edits you shared.

I have one more question: you mention that the three parts must be closed and overlapping for the boolean operation to work Does this mean that I can't delete a face on the attached cylinder? I would like to remove the outer face but when I do this I also encounter an error.

Thanks again,

Katherine

Hi Katherine,

of course, you can remove a face. In case of you model I would just recommend to this after joining the parts via boolean sum. You can choose any method to remove the face. Personally, for this case I would probably reference the face by color or via reference point.

BR,
Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,

Perfect, removing it after joining by referencing the face color works exactly as I wanted. Thanks so much for your help!

Best,

Katherine