Mr. Buddhika Jayarathne

Ship interaction

Hi,

welcome to this forum. I'm not an expert in the cfd simulation of ships, but I don't see a problem there.

I know that the cfd calculation of more ships is possible in Starccm+ and should be also possible in OpenFoam. I don't know about the capabilities of Shipflow.

What cfd program do you want to use?

The modeling process in FFW of two ships is of course also possible. You can take on ship create an image of it and translate it, or you can create two different ships as well. 

It is also possible to evaluate  the result values of different ships.

Sounds like a heavy but interesting cfd calculation and project :-)

best regards

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am planning to use shipflow. Is there any way that I can know wether it is possible in Shipflow, because we need to grab a licence for the project since we do not have one to do trial before hand.

Regards

Buddhika

Hi,

to my knowledge (and the information I could find in the manual) this is not possible with Shipflow. To really make sure, you should get in contact with the people at Flowtech (the company making Shipflow). The contact address is: info@flowtech.se

If you talk about interaction of the two ships, do the have a forward speed? Should the interaction be analyzed in a seaway?

Cheers,

Mattia

Hi Mattia,

I wrote to shipflow several times asking this and did not get any responce. Anyway I sent an email again with the question.

Yes Interaction needs to be analyzed in seaways and one ship may move in a straight path and the other may approach it using different paths and speeds. Any suggestion pls?

BRegards

Nirman

Ok, if this is related to seakeeping, then Shipflow definitely cannot do it. I think the seakeeping software MAPS, that is developed by Prof. Wei Qiu from the University of Newfoundland, can handle such kind of problems. Other seakeeping codes probably, too, but I am not so familiar with that field.

Cheers,

Mattia