Mr. Scott Lanham

Xubuntu 13.10 System Freeze

Hello,

After invoking CAESES-FFW_3.0.19_Linux.x86_64/CAESES-FFW.sh my system become unreponsive and then X-Window crashes. This is the first time a program has done this to my system so it is not a common occurrence.

I am running Xubuntu 13.10 with the proprietry Nvidia drivers on an Asus G55VW. I do not know how to get diagnostic information from Caeses.

Thank you,

Scott.

Hi Scott,

I received your files.

You could run CAESES, and may the GUI was shown!? (Shortly?) Maybe a problem with your "dual" graphic card. The build in Intel GPU and the NVIDIA one. Would it be possible to disable the Intel GPU in Bios.

Your Asus G55VW has no NVIDIA Optimus, so it should not be a problem.

Regards

Konrad

Sorry for the late reply Konrad. I did not realise that there was a post here from you.

I can't turn off the Intel GPU in the BIOS. My understanding of the proprietary Nvidia driver is that it switches it off anyway but I could be wrong.

CAESES runs until the initial dialogue goes to 100% there is a pause and then the screen goes blank and the system freezes. It has the hallmark of a memory leak in either X-Window or the Nvidia driver. It is a strange thing because other graphics intensive applications don't appear to have any issues.

Cheers,

Scott.

"It is a strange thing because other graphics intensive applications don't appear to have any issues."

Not everybody "other" is like us :-) .

Working on gaming notebooks may produce trouble. Like in your case.

You are using our free CAESES with a non-standard business operating system. I have to break here. Sorry. Try CentOS (6) or something and your problems may move away.

Regards

Konrad Lorentz

To clarify the "other graphics intensive applications". Until recently I was an OpenGL developer and I bought this laptop (luggable) as a desktop replacement that could handle the very large triangulation and simulation data we were dealing with. During development it was running Xubuntu and at no point did it show any of the issues I am seeing with CAESES. So sorry, I don't buy the "change your OS" argument.

That said thank you for making this software available for free, it is just a pity I couldn't play with it. I was really looking forward to how I could match it with my Mechanical Engineering studies.

All the best,

Scott.

Hi Scott,

As OpenGL developer you may could help us! send us the output of the GDB backtrace!

cd CAESES-FFW_3.0.19_Linux.x86_64/

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=lib/Linux.x86_64/

gdb bin/Linux.x86_64/CAESES-FFW
 > run

if the segfault occurs: enter 

bt

and send here the full output as text or zipped text file.

Regards

Konrad

Okay, ran those commands. It started up, said it didn't have network access asked me to either setup a proxy or quit. I don't have a proxy server and don't think there are any down stream so selected quit. It then gracefully quit.

This problem is getting interesting, so what next? :)

Hi,

A corrupt memory could cause the problem. Please report your experiences. Without a trace of the hanging program, I cannot help you.

but maybe a strace could solve the problem:

cd CAESES-FFW_3.0.19_Linux.x86_64/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=lib/Linux.x86_64/
strace ./bin/Linux.x86_64/CAESES-FFW 2> log.txt

and send the log.txt.

Regards

Konrad

I agree that it is a very difficult thing to diagnose. If it were a code base I was familiar with and could run on my machine then I would strategically place break points and divide and conquer until the offending section of code has been found. It is something that I have had to deal with before, works on my machine but not on another.

The log.txt file has been sent to your email address. If there is anything else I can do please let me know.

CAESES.sh was not available as a command so I used CAESES-FFW.sh instead with those arguments and still the system freezes in both cases.

The memory test ran for 8 hours with no fault detected.

I have built an Xubuntu 14.04 virtual machine using VMware Player and CAESES works within this without immediate issue. It will be good enough to let me play with the software. If you would still like me to keep digging on my native system I am system I am happy to do so.