Mr. Michael Coe

Closing Brep Surfaces

I am having a problem closing the caudal fin of a fish model.  I would like to create a single solid model so that I can tests different parameters to identify an optimal body shape for different swimming conditions. The body was created and I created the caudal fin sweep.  I'm modeling half of the fish and will mirror for the output to Ansys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advanced. The file is attached now.

Best Regards,

Michael Coe

fishBody.fdbc

Hi Carsten,

I am trying to combine the fish body with the caudal fin.  I've swept a NURBS curve to create the caudal fin.  I can close the brep caudal fin with a close non-planar holes command, but the surface comes out weird.  I would like to have the model as one solid body so I can perform CFD. 

My ideas are to either create a surface on the x-z plane with the caudal fin curves as the edges so it closes the surface. Or try a lofted surface or even just an extruded surface in my shape with a fillet for the incident edge.I will be mirroring these Breps during simulation so I only need half of it. For reference, I am including a model of the last idea which seems the easiest to implement.  I would like to use the NACA blade profile for the fins though. Thank you for your help.

Michael

fishBody2.fdbc

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for your work. I see that you packaged the profile and translations into a feature definition.  Is the fillet surface strictly necessary to close the BREP.  Also, when mirroring the BREP to use in a CFD simulation (A UDF with non symmetrical movement will be used), how does that effect the fin surface since it was modeled as a whole surface instead of half.  Thank you again for your time.

Michael