Mr. William Clarke

DoE Using ANSYS Static Structral and CAESES

Hi,

So I have created a spine model in CAESES for my research and was wanting to optimise it using the CAESES Act in ANSYS and have some issues. After I exported the fsc file just like the tutorial on this kinda thing and loaded it up into ANSYS. Got the green ticks in the CAESES box and all my design variables loaded up as parameters. Then I was hoping on transfering the data like in the tutorial but instead of Fluid Flow, putting the model into a Static Structural (SS) system. This created pink links from CAESES Geometry to both engineering data and geometry in the SS box. First an error popped up saying the "Could not determine the format of the data" for the engineering data. I could modify the engineering data to what I needed and loaded the model and created the simulation and got it to do calculations so I thought it was fine. I then wanted to do some Response Surface Optimisation and run a Design of Experiments (DOE) but then for every design points it would reload the engineering data from CAESES and report the same problem - "Could not determine the format of the data" - So I then deleted the pink line from CAESES Geometry to Geometry and it seemed to work fine, ran the simulation and it worked. But when I ran the DOE again, the geometry of the model never seemed to update and I got the same answer for every design point.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or there anything I can do to actually run a DOE for my model?

Flat.fdbc

post-1211-0-67476400-1575946033_thumb.png

Hi William,

Sorry for the late answer, I was on vacation last week.

Can you please link the "ANSYS Geometry" but not the "CAESES Geometry" task to the "Geometry" task of the "Static Structural" system?

The "CAESES Geometry" is only an input task and would not work properly as desired if linked with any other system/task.

The reason to have the "ANSYS Geometry" is to create the so called "Named Selections" for boundary names, calibrate the geometry for different unit systems, etc..

Depending on your preferred Geometry tool within ANSYS Workbench (Under Workbench options, this can be modified) you can review the geometry either on "SpaceClaim" or "DesignModeler".

Please check the instructions how to utilize the ACT App, which can be found under CAESES Tutorials.

Please let me know if you have further questions. We can arrange a web-meeting.

Cheers

Ceyhan

Hi Ceyhan,

In the time you have been away I've switched to a different CAESES project and after inputting it into ANSYS the same way, it seems to work and I have now completed some DoE on this new project. I'm not sure what changed with the two different files but I'm fairly certain I didn't export it any differently. I'll upload the new file you to see

Also doing what you advised seems to not be possible. My ANSYS software doesn't allow for the ANSYS Geometry to be linked to the "Geometry" task of static structural. It can be linked to the "Model" task and I tried that. Changing the parameters of the design does change the model but does really hold any of the material assignments or the placement of forces when updated which is why DoE could not be preformed. This maybe could be fixed with the colourings in CAESES but I am new to both CAESES and ANSYS and not sure. With what I am doing now which is the same as above the material assignment and force placement do stay when updating parameters which is how I got DoE to work.

I am having another issue with one of my parameters though. When changing it, the model in ANSYS Mechanical sees the solids "First" and "Second" as surfaces and not solids. It only seems to do this with making RadiusB bigger than RadiusA. You can see this hopefully with my uploaded model.

Thanks for the help!

William

Model.fdbc

Hi William,

A "Geometry" component cannot be linked with another "Geometry" component within Ansys Workbench. It can be linked to Meshing, etc.. components however.

The so called "Ansys Geometry" component within ACT app acts in a same manner as a default Ansys Geometry component.

And I would not suggest and guarantee the success of linking the "Caeses Geometry" component with any other components. Please use the "Ansys Geometry" component for linking purposes.

What I can observe from your project file is that when you play with the above mentioned parameter, some unconnected edges appear. You can see them as red curves within the BRep.

Please check the attached picture for some hints.

Cheers

Ceyhan

post-467-0-76775500-1576580139_thumb.png