Mr. Farzam Allafchi

connecting CAESES and FLOW-3D

Hi all,

Is there any document about connecting CAESES and FLOW-3D?

I found a few videos on youtube and 3 presentation files on FLOW-3D website. However, all of them only show the capabilities of software, and don't go through the connection details.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Farzam

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for your response. 

I worked on the file. However, it is still not clear to me what file is considered as the executable file. Flow3D doesn't generate .exe file in the simulation directory. Do you know which file should be given to CAESES as the executable file?

Do you happen to know if it is possible to do parametric study & optimization in CAESES without any geometry being generated in CAESES? I am going to study some parameters which are all in FLOW3D, and there is no need to .stl file.

Kind regards,

Farzam

Yes, that is possible. Just take a control file for Flow3D into the input quadrant of the softwareConnector, double click and insert Entries for the parameters you want to change. Fill the entries with DesignVariables etc...

Cheers

Claus

WRT the executable: how do you start Flow3D if not running the executable?

post-20-0-17981600-1563347077_thumb.png

Thanks Claus! It was useful.

For the executable file, I made a batch file that opens command prompt, reads input files and runs the flow3d solver, then copy and paste a file and finally runs the postprocessor. In other words, when you click on the .bat file, it automatically reads the inputs and generates the outputs. The format of both input and output file is the name of simulation; however, you can open them with any text editor program.

For simplicity, I only have 1 design variable which is in the input file (I don't have any stl file), and 1 eval_ResultsValue. Sobol with 4 Variants was used. I could see that the code was running 4 times (command prompt opened 4 times, and cpu usage was increased 4 times). but the code couldn't read from the output file and shows "nan" in the eval_ResultValue column for all of the cases. Do you happen to know how I can solve this problem?

Hi Farzam,

Please check if the result files are in the "runner" directories of the designs created  of your project. Is there any output in the command line?

Cheers

Claus

Hi Claus,

Thanks for getting back to me.

There is no output in the command line, all of the outputs (results) are in a text file. The executable file, which is a batch file, is in the same folder as all other files (input & output), and they are all in drive C. However, the batch file calls some other VBscripts in the installation folder of Flow3D. The installation folder is in C:\ as well.

Moving the executable file to the input and output folder changed "nan" to "n/a" in the eval_ResultValue column for all of the cases.

Cheers,

Farzam

HI Farzam,

Maybe we could have a web-meeting to check your set-up. Usually the simulation is executed in a subdirectory which is created by CAESES automatically for each design and each computation integrated. Would you be available today? Please send an email to info@friendship-systems.com, then I will prepare a gotoMeeting and send the invitation link.

Best regards,

Claus

Hi Farzam,

I´m also trying to connect CAESES and FLOW-3D and I have problem with creating executable batch file. I assume that in the end you managed to connect CAESES and FLOW-3D. Could you upload sample of executable file for us who got lost in the process, please? 🙂

Thanks for help,

Lucie