Mr. chris baki

Help for Beginners

Dear Anup,

now Jörg was a bit faster, I will post my reply, anyways...

If you really need a surface, I suggest you use a ruled surface. In this case you will have to ensure that the parametrization of both curves is somewhat similar, e.g. they both start at the bottom and run counter-clock-wise at the same 'speed'.

A bit more straight forward would be if you use a brep and create the rectangular surface. From there you could project and trim the circle...

I prepared a small example for you that contains both options.

Best regards,

Heinrich

surfaceWithHole.fdb

Hi Joerg and Heinrich,

Thanks for your reply. I guess it works for a simple case. I have attached my parametric model below. However, I am unable to create that using B-rep. It seems I am doing something wrong. Can you please help.

Hi Anup,

You can directly use BReps for this task, see the attachment.

Cheers

Jörg

palnar_surface.fdbc

Hi Anup,

See the attachment. I created a polycurve from the inner curve pieces, and switched on auto-orientation for it (the original pieces have different orientations).

post-8-0-93879800-1555485593_thumb.jpg

palnar_surface.fdbc

Hi Joerg,

1) However, if you combine them as one curve another problem arises. When we import the geometry in ANSYS it is imported as a single curve. No colours and named selection come in ANSYS. If named selections and colours don't come the curve has to be broken again to apply names selction for boundaries. I have attached the CAESES file and snapshot from ANSYS.  You can see in the ANSYS snapshot that no named selection are copied from CAESES. I have also attached the snapshot of export console of CAESES.

2) Furthermore, I want to mesh that geometry in ICEM CFD. Since each curve piece is parameterized , I want my mesh to be associated with each curve and as a result I need that geometry to be exported with those curve pieces.

3) I am not sure  whether this is a bug in SpaceClaim or CAESES, in CAESES my units are in meters while my SpaceClaim geometry in Workbench, which is updated from CAESES (using ACT app) show dimensions in mm. For eg in the snapshot attached below you see that the SpaceClaim show the vertical distance as 1..7 mm which in actual case  in CAESES it is 1.7 m

Hi Anup,

See the attachment. I created a polycurve from the inner curve pieces, and switched on auto-orientation for it (the original pieces have different orientations).

palnar_surface (1).fdbc

post-1106-0-71024300-1555555598_thumb.jpg

post-1106-0-32839800-1555555609_thumb.png

post-1106-0-47618800-1555555694_thumb.jpg

post-1106-0-70377100-1555558589_thumb.jpg

Hi Anup,

OK, got it. It is always helpful to know where you wanna go in the end ;-)

Regarding the curves: Instead of a polycurve you can also add the single pieces into the brep source. Just take care that the orientations are such that a closed loop is defined. You can e.g. use image curves to reverse the direction of a curve (set the domain from [0,1] to [1,0]).

I will ask my colleagues to help you with the ANSYS connection and meshing. Note that with the upcoming version (4.4.2) we will support units for the ACT apps. So far, this is not handled.

Cheers

Jörg

Hi Anup,

1) For the Named Selection creation within SpaceClaim, please go to;

File > Space Claim Options > File Options >general

and disable the option "Use SpaceClaim color tones when importing"

This is also mentioned in the Ansys ACT App tutorial file within CAESES

2) As Joerg has mentioned I would recommend not to use a polycurve since it will provide you a single loop.

Why don't you create a 3D model with a defined unit depth?

You will be able to assign named selections within CAESES. In the mesher you can create a mesh with single element in depth direction.

But also I would like to keep in my radar to find a way for transferring some specific curves/lines using ACT which can be distinguished and used in IcemCFD.

3) With the new upcoming CAESES version and the provided updated ACT App there will be the possibility for the user to transfer CAESES units to SpaceClaim/DesignModeler

Cheers

Ceyhan

Hi Joerg,

Thanks. I was able to get the curve pieces as I required.

Thanks,

Anup

Hi Anup,

OK, got it. It is always helpful to know where you wanna go in the end ;-)

Regarding the curves: Instead of a polycurve you can also add the single pieces into the brep source. Just take care that the orientations are such that a closed loop is defined. You can e.g. use image curves to reverse the direction of a curve (set the domain from [0,1] to [1,0]).

I will ask my colleagues to help you with the ANSYS connection and meshing. Note that with the upcoming version (4.4.2) we will support units for the ACT apps. So far, this is not handled.

Cheers

Jörg

Hi Joerg,

I am trying to create the B-rep but it fails. As you said I can create it using a polycurve. While creating a polycuve from the all the curves you can see in the image 2 that the polycurve fails to map the geometry created by separate curves. In other words, polycurve creates tapers towards the corner. Image 1 is the geometry created by curves. Image two is polycurve (Here you can see the tapers at the right corner)

Please find the project file and the images

Thanks,

Anup

Hi Anup,

post-1106-0-72122600-1559443423_thumb.png

post-1106-0-02315100-1559443442_thumb.png

Baseline_Geometry_01062019.fdbc

Hi Anup,

don't worry about the 'tapered' corners - thats just the resolution of the curve rendering. The underlying curve should have a perfect sharp edge.

To verify, you can take a look at the curves control polygon by toggling the respective button under the curves display options:

post-933-0-72543800-1559545240_thumb.png

post-933-0-85363200-1559545345_thumb.png

To get the Brep, you will have to activate the 'faces from planar curves' operation you have already created (see the small checkbox):

post-933-0-16265200-1559545305_thumb.png

Best regards,

Heinrich

Hi,

I have created this following CAESES geometry. And am trying to use it in ANSYS for simulation (using ACT App). When I import the geometry from CAESES to Design Modeler, the points that I want to be imported from CAESES are imported as construction points (all points fall under one group in Design Modeler) in Design Modeler and not as a geometric point. Now the problem is that when I take this geometry to ICEM CFD for meshing I don't see these points. Is there any way that these imported points will not be imported as construction points but as geometric points?

However, if I use SpaceClaim then all the points are imported correctly from CAESES and are again correctly imported in ICEM CFD

(The reason I cannot use Space Claim is because the dimensions of the geometry are not imported correctly from CAESES to SpaceClaim)

PS: I want everything to be imported as mentioned in the sc1 scope of the CAESES file attached to ICEM CFD

Thanks,

Anup

Forum.fdbc

Hi Anup,

Please find below the link for an updated version of the ACT App that would fix the SpaceClaim unit problem including some other little bugs.

https://www.friendship-systems.de/fcloud6/public.php?service=files&t=19f5250d6755731feefe514eaf00d82d

Cheers

Ceyhan

Hi Ceyhan,

I see that with the new ACT app the geometry is imported to SpaceClaim but is not visible on the screen. Please see the attached snapshot. Furthermore by clicking update on the CAESES tab, the geometry was automatically updating in SpaceClaim (In the previous ACT app) . But Now, once it is updated in CAESES I have to click on SpaceClaim tab to update it and then when I open SpaceClaim I can see the data in the structure tree but the geometry is invisible on the screen. Same is with Design Modeler except that geometry is visible in Design Modeler. 

The CAESES file is also attached

Thanks,

Anup

post-1106-0-84031400-1560539190_thumb.png

Extruded Nose Spline_surface_without_point5.fdbc

Hi Anup,

Can you please check the attached picture?

I think within SpaceClaim clicking on the Zoom to Extends button will help you to visualize the geometry.

I have figured there is still a unit problem due to the fact that this is a surface body. Will fix this today.

Cheers

Ceyhan

post-467-0-20165900-1560769046_thumb.png

And I have figured the problem with the unit update as well,

In fact it was a problem within the fsc script, that gave an error.

Please check your color labels within CAESES. Seems you have created a white space that is transferred to the fsc script as "/n"

Getting rid of the white space solves the problem.

Cheers

Ceyhan

post-467-0-55665600-1560772430_thumb.png

post-467-0-10883000-1560772446_thumb.png

And I have figured the problem with the unit update as well,

In fact it was a problem within the fsc script, that gave an error.

Please check your color labels within CAESES. Seems you have created a white space that is transferred to the fsc script as "/n"

Getting rid of the white space solves the problem.

Cheers

Ceyhan

Hi Ceyhan,

Thanks. It works absolutely fine now!!

Thanks,

Anup