How to determine a spiral volute casing (turbocharger, pump) cross sectional decrease in value? I am trying to design a volute casing. Problem is, I don't know how much its cross sectional area decreases over time. For instance starting cross sectional area (0 degrees) is 100 cm^2, what will it be when it reaches 45, 90 degrees and so on? Is there any way to calculate it? I am sure that knowing starting and finishing cross sectional areas size (btw I know them) and just connecting them isn't a correct way.

Hi Abu,

The CAESES volute models are typically controlled by a set of functions, in particular, an area or A/R distribution. You can use the meta surface technique for it. post-8-0-70467700-1534241640_thumb.png There are also a few tutorials that show you how to create meta surfaces, see the documentation browser. Do you have a simple cross section definition, or a rather complex one?

Joerg

• Upvote 1

Are there any tutorials about cross section creation? I've seen a video about volute creation, but in that example a cross section is a simple circle, so it's very easy to define its area. Not the case with more complicated shapes like the one I've added tho. 

Hi,

Sure, we can send you something. I'll ask my colleagues for an example.

• Upvote 1

test.fdbcSo far I've made start and end cross sections. I know that they are not robust (parameters are not variable), but it would still be good enough. How can I make a sweep with custom area distribution with Meta surface from this point? thanks.

Hi there,

Please check the tutorial that we ship with CAESES: post-8-0-94783900-1536153028_thumb.png

I am curious to know whether you succeed with the tutorial. Otherwise we need to improve it ;-)

It is just a 2D circle, but it explains how the meta surface technique works. Real world projects are much more complicated. But once you understand this technique, it's easy to model anything with it.

I also add a simple volute example (attachment) where the corner radius of the 2D section is varied in circumferential direction: post-8-0-46441500-1536153795_thumb.png

You can do the same thing with any 2D parameter of the section, including the area or an A/R ratio. Full sweep control in circumferential direction.

There is also a factor included, to scale down the function graph (sort of normalization), makes it easier to look at it. In the curve engine, this factor is used again to scale it up to the real values.

volutesymmetric.fdb

I am uploading my finished model. Personally, I am pretty happy about the result. Anyway, perhaps you can give me some suggestions how to improve, optimize my design  :)
Next step for me would be to create a twin scroll volute model. Thank you for your help!

Volute modeling.fdbc

Nice work.  :) Good start!

Any plans to model the tongue (cut-off) part as well?

Hi,

I tried a few more cross-sections (e.g. 35) and also increased the rendering resolution, and to me it looks quite ok: post-8-0-45006500-1539597024_thumb.png

Joerg

• Upvote 1