Hi guys!

My project is to optimise the variable pitch vertical axis turbine using genetic algorithm. I have already finished modelling and many simulations for validation in STARCCM+, which means the next step is optimising it to get the best total torque or power efficiency. I am really new to CAESES and I have some question about this connecting process.

Firstly, I have noticed some examples about shape optimisation using CAESES + STARCCM+, but can I use CAESES to optimise the pitch motion function of the blade (just one function which needs to be exchange between CAESES and STARCCM)? Secondly, how can I transfer the results (torque) from STARCCM+ to CAESES and let CAESES to choose the pitch motion function? Do I need to create a new model in CAESES again?

Thank you so much for your time.

Hi Xiaosong,

As you would like to change the blade pitch distribution wrt to pitch function, I would suggest you to model the blade in CAESES first.

Please review the tutorials that you can find in Documentation Browser that would guide you in blade creation with respect to assigned line functions.

Again within the tutorials you can find a nice example that explains how to connect StarCCM+ with CAESES, extracting data from STARCCM+ output and using it as an objective for optimization.

Please do not hesitate to contact in case you get stuck.

Cheers

Ceyhan

Maybe you can also tell us more about the pitch motion function. How do you control it at the moment? Where is it defined?