Mr. hamid reza

parallel running with one computer

Hello all,

I am running an optimization process using the Dakota MOGA and each design is evaluated using COM interface with external software. It means, any “connection setting” does not define, because the FFW communicate with the external software via COM interface. Unfortunately, it will be so time consuming, if I run it as usual. I need to reduce runtime.

By the way, I am able to use multiple instance of the external software on my machine, for example, I can open the external software five times and run an independent design on each one manually in the same time. So, the ideal process is using the parallel running the external software by FFW, then I can assess all designs in one generation in the same time. For example, at the same time that, the program is evaluating the first design, the second design would be evaluated by another license of external software on a single machine.

Considering the connection via COM interface and parallel running on one computer, is there any idea to help?

Best Regards

Hamidreza

Hello Hamidreza,

at the moment it is not possible to trigger multiple COM applications at the same time. In general this would be possible to implement it into CAESES, but at the moment this is not at high priority.

In most cases COM connections are pretty fast, so that there is not a big need to run it in parallel. But we can think about it, to implement it in future releases.

best regards

Carsten

Hello Carsten,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the COM connection is fast, but the run time of external program does not related to the speed of connection, so the user may need parallel running of external program(s) for reducing the run time even if the CAESES is connected with the COM interface to other program(s).

At the moment , it seems that my run time can only improves by amendment of machine properties, which is running the external program. Do you have any other suggestion? if I want to connect to another machine for improving the run time, is there any possibility use COM interface with SSH?

Best regards

Hamidreza

Hi Hamidreza,

you cannot use the COM via SSH. You could run CAESES on the other machine though.

Which program do you use, and is there a way to access to the program without COM interface in batch mode?

best regards

Carsten

Hi Hamidreza,

you are right, Maxsurf doesn't provide a batch mode.

What you could do is to prepare an master project from where you trigger the project with the com integration. In that way you could use the software connector in the master project and the standard design engines. You would need to control CAESES with an fsc file.

With that you could trigger as many CAESES instances as you have CAESES licenses.

best regards

Carsten

Hi Carsten

Honestly, I didn’t get your clue and some question appears for me:

1. What do mean from “master project”, is it a kind of project that can be open with “many CAESES” at the same time?!
  2. What is the point of using the “connector”, while COM interface with external program do not require of such definition?
  3. How having “as many as CAESES instances” can help to improve the running time, while the problem is run time of external program? For example, I triggered two CAESES at the same time and ask them to run the COM connection with the external program, both of them just run one of the several triggered external program, it means , if I have a lot of triggered CAESES , all of them just can connect to one external program via COM connection!

And finally, I will appreciate you, if you have a sample to understand your suggested way.

Best Regards

Hamidreza

Hi Hamidreza,

This setup is a bit tricky and we have not tried it out. So maybe you can do your own tests, we have not really resources to spend time on it at the moment. You could take a look at the CAESES batch mode post since the idea is to trigger CAESES in batch mode through a software connector (in a master fdb project). Basically, I think this could work. But like I said, we haven't tested it.

Good luck!

Joerg