Mr. Jaap van der Heide

How to use the getDisplacement function of a surfacegroup?

Hi all,

Can anybody point me to the way to use the getDisplacement function of an FSurfaceGroup type surfacegroup? And while we are at it: should there be a "hull design" group of features under the features menu?

(I am searching for the menu "features > hull design > displacement from surface group" as mentioned in the tutorial "hydrostatic calculation" in the box at the bottom of page 1, which does not seem to be there in my version of CAESES).

Kind regards,

Jaap

Displacement: Just take care that you all your surface normals point outside. If the object is completely below the waterline, make sure it is closed. As far as I remember, these are the most important issues.

Hi Joerg,

The (empty) features menu is one thing, but the function is also mentioned with the FSurfaceGroup object in the reference in version 4.2.1. I just don't seem able to find how to use the function that is in the reference though. :)

Regards,

Jaap

Hi Jaap,

Please note that the center of buoyancy is returned in global coordinates. The get the location in ship coordinates you need to define a transformation chain that runs the reverse heel, trim, sink transformations.

Cheers

Claus

Hi Jaap,

Good finding - thanks. We used to have this menu, you can still find these features in this blog post.

Dear Jörg,

The file location where the old features should be placed according to the blogpost is wrong for a Linux installation.

(I am running CAESES 4.2.1 running on Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 LTS besides running it on Win10)

The blogpost points to

~.friendship/etc/features

, but that should be

~.friendship/features

otherwise the features still won't show up under "Features" >> "In User Directory".

Cheers,

Jaap