Mr. Philipp Burch

Ubuntu 16.04: Segfault when moving mouse in 3D view

Hello everyone,

while searching for a Linux CAD application, a colleague of mine found CAESES. The program looks very promising and I can extract it, register and start it without trouble on my Ubuntu 16.04 x64 machine. But when I move my mouse somewhat on the 3D view, it is just a matter of seconds until the whole program crashes with a segfault. The coordinate display is updated correctly and sometimes I can also rotate the view a bit before the crash occurs. Otherwise the program seems to run, I can browse the documentation, open a sample, but as soon as I want to do something in the 3D view, there is the crash. Neither of the arguments '-style plastique', '-gtk' or '-no-gtk' changed anything.

FWIW, I'm running on the integrated graphics of an i7 processor and with a 4K display.

Please find attached the program output, GDB backtrace and glxinfo.

Looking at the output of the application, the lines

HAL BUS connection error
Couldn't find UDisks. Is UDisks running?

look a bit suspicious to me. Am I supposed to install anything else? According to the package manager, udisks2 is already installed.

Thanks and best regards,

Philipp

crash_log.zip

Hi Philipp,

the crash is probably due to the graphics driver / hardware. In the terminal output you can see that no valid openGL context could be obtained from the system.

We sometimes see poor driver support under Linux OS for integrated graphics (Windows too).

You shoud try to find install  a prorietary / vendor driver (probably intel?) for your graphics system.

An alternative could be to use a dedicated graphics card (nvidia preferable in my personal opinion). You would have vendor support and a much better performance even with a cheaper card.

The integrated graphics is dedicated to desktop / office use, CAD is not really the idea of these things ;)

Cheers,

Stefan

• Upvote 1

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the quick reply! Just tried the software on my notebook with about the same software setup and there is no such problem. So your suggestion to get some dedicated graphics card will probably be my next try.

Bye,

Philipp