Ms. Nabila Naz

XGRID manual control

I am practicing Shipflow basic tutorial. In tutorial 7_4 of XGRID manual control, a kcs offset file is used. But after running computation I have found that ComponentOutline tool is created small size than the original offset file and it is also not around the original hull of the ship (see attached photo).

Is it correct? If so why it is like that? post-510-0-31793200-1453273557_thumb.png

Nabila Naz

Hey Nabila,

Is this the shipflow tutorial which is included in CAESES?

I've never used shipflow but it seems to be scaled. Therefore I would check the setup for a scaling parameter.

Maybe it is set to be run in model scale in order save time.

Cheers,

Karsten

• Upvote 1

Hey Nabila,

Thanks for the link but as I said I've never used shipflow therefore all I can do is digging in the dark.

Nevertheless I have read the tutorial and it is written that inlet is at -0.5 and outlet at 1.5 in x direction.

The ship itself is probably more than 100 in x direction that why I still think it is scaled.

For the rest I would recommend you to contact the shipflow support.

I am sure it is very easy for them.

Cheers,

Karsten

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much Karsten Wenzke and Björn Regnström for your informative reply.

Actually, I can not contact the shipflow support because the maintenance and support facilities date for our license is expired and there is no scope for renewal at here now. That's why  I am posting various problems that I faced during performing my Shipflow simulation and I am also very grateful to all members of  //www.caeses.com/forum, for their instant support in each every problem I faced.

Thanks again.

Nabila

Hello Björn Regnström,

As you are from Flowtech International AB. I am sharing my another problem during Shipflow simulation. Could you please explain me what it means?

I am running Shipflow xchap with a container ship iges. But after computation I do not get result. Instead the following message appears in outful file. 

- OUTPUT

This card was not found.

Default output will be used:

Interpolated grid -> XVGRID-file

Coarse grid -> XGPOST-file

Iteration history turned off

error in subroutine stretc

4  zm - z1 is too close to zero         

stretc: Error

Regards,

Nabila

Hi Nabila,

The geometry is scaled so that Lpp=1 in all Shipflow computations, and the origin is translated to x=FP and z=undisturbed water level.

Best regards,

Björn Regnström

Flowtech International AB

Hello Bjorn,

You said that The geometry is scaled so that Lpp=1 in all Shipflow computations, and the origin is translated to x=FP and z=undisturbed water level.

That means if I give original offset data Shipflow itself will scale it to Lpp=1? or I have to nondimensionalize the offset data myself before Shipflow computation?

Regards,

Nabila