Hi everyone

I want to model a series of water tight bulkheads to generate different structural tanks inside a ship hull,What kind of strategy do you suggest for generating these surfaces? is there any available sample for such work?

Hamidreza

What kind of information do you need from the individual compartments? And what kind of geometric entities would you like to have at the end?

Cheers

Claus

Hi Claus

Actually I need to evaluate the hydrostatic of the ship due to flooding of produced compartments.

As I know, the FFW may not be able to calculate such a hydrostatic specifications, so I have to create a kind geometry which can be use in the connection with hydrostatic software, like Autoship or Maxsurf, so I think, the created individual compartments should contain specific information of the tanks or compartments, like what is used in the .GHS files or .GF files

Cheers

Hamidreza

Hi Hamidreza,

There is certain hydrostatics in CAESES already available. Either hydrostatics computation using sectiongroups/offsetgroups or Surfaces grouped (note that the orientation of the surfaces needs to be the same for each compartment. Alternatively you can also use a solid and boolean operations to get your tank/compartment. Search for getDisplacement(), then you can see the options for the surfacegroup.

In the attached file I created a watertight hull based on one of the examples and used the boolean intersection to create solids inside the scopes comp1, comp2. You can move the compartments by selecting the 3DPoint inside the scope. The volume is calculated from the intersection of hull and spaces.

post-20-0-25730600-1444840737_thumb.png

The project:

compartment.fdb

Cheers

Claus

Hi Hamidreza,

There is certain hydrostatics in CAESES already available. Either hydrostatics computation using sectiongroups/offsetgroups or Surfaces grouped (note that the orientation of the surfaces needs to be the same for each compartment. Alternatively you can also use a solid and boolean operations to get your tank/compartment. Search for getDisplacement(), then you can see the options for the surfacegroup.

In the attached file I created a watertight hull based on one of the examples and used the boolean intersection to create solids inside the scopes comp1, comp2. You can move the compartments by selecting the 3DPoint inside the scope. The volume is calculated from the intersection of hull and spaces.

attachicon.gifcompartments.png

The project:

attachicon.gifcompartment.fdb

Cheers

Claus

Hi Claus

thank you for the helpful comments and sample,

I found the "damage stability" calculation in the Hydromax connection,it needs to  access to the Hydromax, but I already have access to another hydrostatic software, Autoship(Autohydro),so can I use the produced compartment by Boolean operation , as input of Autohydro?

cheers

Hamidreza

Hey Hamidreza,

Yes you can probably use it.

I don't know Autohydro but it depends which Input format Autohydro would like to have (stl, iges, offsets, iges or something else).

Do you know which format Autohydro expects?

If so please let me know?

The provided model can be easily exported as stl.

Select the trimesh of the compartments and go to menu > file > exports > stl.

Cheers,

Karsten

Hey Hamidreza,

You can write your own export feature which creates the need file.

Take a look at these posts. Post1

Post2

Do you have a sample file and do you know what it is based on?

I have read that they are using offsets is that right?

If you have a sample file I might be able to help you creating the GF file.

Cheers,

Karsten

Hi Karsten
I was preparing a sample to attach here, please find in the attachment a ship hull with two internal tank sample , which is prepared for Autohydro application in the .gf format
cheers Sam.zip
Hamidreza

Hey Hamid,

I have created feature definitions for im- and exporting the gf file.

Hope they help you to get autohydro running.

It is hopefully easy to use.

You just need to created an offsetgroupassembly

The first offsetgroup in the offset group assembly needs to be the hull and the second, third, ... should represent the tanks.

and the ship should be modeled as usual which means 

Length: X-Axis

Beam: Y-Axis

Keel to Deck: Z-Axis

As you can see in the screenshot as well.

This is how the import looks like. post-41-0-95344400-1445887626_thumb.png

If you have any question do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Karsten

Im_exportGfFile.fdb

Hey Hamidreza,

Which CAESES version are you using?

Just a guess from my side it is 3.0.x or 3.1.x.

We have released CAESES 4.0.2 in the beginning of October.

Here you can download the new version.

The feature does only work with a version 4.x.

If have adjusted the file to work with 3.X.

The command in line 46 is only in 4.x version available.

Cheers,

Karsten

importGfFile31.fdb

Hi Karsten

I have CEASES 3.1.4, but it is academic licensed , if I upgrade to the version 4.x, do you think , it could be free for academic licensed?

because I don't want to use just the free version, I have to use the academic licensed.

besides, the changed "importgffile31" still doesn't work,I exported the feature to specific folder, then I address the folder in the file-setting-custom, the feature is appeared in the menu, I just addressed the ".gf" file, but it doesn't imported. 

am I doing something wrong? or this is related to the version problem?

Cheers

Hamidreza

Hey Hamid,

We have checked your academic license and yes the update is free for you.  So you can download and install the new version.

For features I would recommend our video section on our website, the our youtube channel and the blog we recently started on our website.

There is a feature video and I would recommend the feature tutorials and the meta surface tutorials as well because they always create a feature definition.

Also the Blade design tutorials have a lot to do with features. 

In addition the feature definition documentation is a good database as well.

I don't really know why the feature is not running for you in 3.1.4 please update to the new version. :-)

Cheers,

Karsten