Mr. Henrik Philipsen

How to configure Dakota to optimize with objective to minimize total drag.

Dear Caeses crew,

I am trying to utilize the Dakota engine to optimize a hull. I use between 2 and 8 design variables, but only one result objective, the total resistance in this case.

How do I set the Dakota engine up to search towards the minimum of the result variable?

And I am a bit in doubt about how to implement constraints with the design variables. How do I set the limitation scope?

Thanks, Henrik

Hello Henrik,

did you run a sobol or a sensitivity analysis by dakota first? I would do this to scan the design space. Then you could try the Local Optimization Efficient Algorithm by Dakota. This is a local search with a surrogate model (response surface). It can use the results of the DOE to build a first response surface. It will optimize internaly on this and will calculate the best design and so on. I had some good results when I set the samples per iterations to zero. This means it will calculate just one design of the response surface.

But this is just one way to optimize.

Does this gives you a first idea?

cheers

Carsten

Hey Carsten, Thanks for your reply.

I have done some sensitivity analysis on the variables, and sobol analysis, and I am getting a good mapping of the design space.

How does the Dakota Local Optimization Efficient Algorithm know that the objective is to minimize the drag? I have had problems getting it to run.

Thanks, Henrik

Guest Mr. YEONUK KANG

hi karstern wenzke

I can't find dakota menu in optimization menu.

NSGA2,MOSA are my last module in 4.0.2 system.