Mr. Henrik Philipsen

How many external processes can be managed simultaniously with student license?

Dear Friendship crew,

I am using a student license to control StarCCM+ in batch mode externally on a Torque cluster system.

How many external simulations can I run and manage at the same time via SSH with my current license?

Does the number of maximum internal processes affect the allowed number of external processes?

At the moment I am simulating 30 design variants each with a runtime around 2,5 hours.

Kind regards, Henrik

Dear Henrik,

Do you mean the number of processes through the SshResourceManager? The student license normally does not include the full SshResourceManager. This means you can use it, but only one remote job can be started from within CAESES at a time.

We have activated the full SshResourceManager now for both of your licenses. The job limited can be configured in the SshResourceManager's configuration file. It is defaulted to 100 simultaneous jobs.

The local limit does not influence the remote limit.

Best regards,

Arne

Hello Arne, and thanks for your swift reply.

I do not use the SSH ressource manager, it proved not to be necessary, and also the jobs I submit via Torque needs to be in a queue.

I saw during simulation that I was limited to 4 optimization processes, meaning only 4 design variants could be run at the same time via ssh scripting. It would be nice to be able to run more, as I principally can get many cores (if they are available in the queue).

I do not know if I have understood it right with respect to number of local and remote processes.

Kind regards, Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Ok, I understand. Since your SSH scripting runs as a local process (i.e. the ssh executable) the local limit is the limit. CAESES doesn't know that the actual CFD will run remotely.

Since we activated the SshResourceManager for your licenses, there is no limitation for the setting "maximum number of local processes". You will have to start CAESES with the command line argument "-forcecheck" (on Windows there is a start menu entry "force license check") in order to get the updated license.

Best regards,

Arne