Hi team,

I'm new to CAESES and am following through several tutorials in preparation for some turbomachinery applications. At step 6 of the 'Profile Design' tutorial, as soon as I select 'Offset Curve' from the 'CAD>Curves' drop-down menu, my computer completely freezes up. Sometimes the windows loading wheel is present and animated - other times I can't even move the cursor across the screen with the mouse. Neither can I input commands with the keyboard. Additionally (I don't know if this is important) several times (but not every) I have been streaming internet radio and when the computer crashes, this continues to play.

I have included a screenshot of the 'About' information box. Should you require any other information, please ask. 

Cheers,

Sam.

post-379-0-58831100-1435749096_thumb.png

Hi Sam,

Thanks for this report. Honestly, I don't know what's wrong, I cannot reproduce it. Can you send us the fdbc-file with the last status i.e. before you create the offset curve?

Internet radio should not be a problem - only if the wrong music is played, then CAESES sometimes crashes ;) just kidding, anyway, I don't know whether there is possibly a problem with the traffic and the CAESES internet connection, I would guess no. Maybe my colleagues have additional input and comments.

Cheers

Joerg

It was actually just the Wimbledon tennis - perhaps it is upset by Tommy Haas currently loosing  -_- .

Anyway - I would have attached the file but it seems I am not permitted: see screenshot.

Also, as I was trying to explore the NURBS curve functionality, I had exactly the same crash. This occurred from starting with a completely new project with nothing else defined in the project tree and selecting 'NURBS Curve' from 'CAD>Curves'.

Perhaps this does point to some sort of licence/internet issue?

Cheers,

Sam.

P.S. - How do I change my display name from 'Ms.' Samuel Norton!?!

post-379-0-35452700-1435756018_thumb.png

Hi Samuel,

Can you try to remove the "~" character and upload it again? Not sure whether this works...

But to me it seems that this is not a typical bug but maybe more related to your hardware (graphics driver etc). I have also asked my colleagues, we have no idea what it could be - we haven't had this before. Hmm... Can you provide some information about your PC (OS, hardware, graphics card,..)?

Cheers

Joerg

PS: For changing the gender, see the attached pictures (edit profile > gender)...

post-8-0-07346700-1435757993_thumb.png

post-8-0-64148700-1435758001_thumb.png

Hi Joerg,

I have included a screen grab of the 'my computer - basic information' screen. I believe the graphics may just be integrated: there is no "external graphics card" option jumping out at me. The device manager is showing a 'Display adapter' - 'ATI FirePor 2260'. Again: screenshot provided of device manager.

Apologies for not knowing much about this computer as I have just moved offices and this is a new work station for me.

Also - I just checked again with the NURBS curve and it immediately crashed my system again - see attached picture of the screen.

Finally - I have certainly already changed my Gender to 'Male' but the forum seems to insist that I am not! haha 

profile_example.fdbc

post-379-0-81838100-1435760827_thumb.png

post-379-0-04543600-1435760831_thumb.png

post-379-0-36367600-1435761103_thumb.jpg

post-379-0-63395400-1435761104_thumb.png

Hi Samuel,

We've fixed your gender in the forum, so you are a Mr again :) Congratulations...!

We are still discussing your problem and we will come back to you as soon as we have some ideas where to start. That's really a tricky one...

Cheers

Joerg

Thanks Joerg,

one last thing, I think my eventual aim is to input custom defined profiles from an input file. I had thought that NURBS curves might be the best way to go about this, but if you guys have better ideas I would certainly be happy to hear them. They will be resulting from simple ASCII text files, possibly outputted from another software.

Cheers,

Sam.

Hi Sam,

There are many options to cope with profile point data from a file. In any case you can use feature definitions to write your own custom import. There is a feature for this in CAESES that you can use and modify to your own needs, see the attachment.

Here are some quick suggestions how to "convert" point data to a simple curve or even to a parametric profile:

NURBS: import it and create an interpolation curve from the point data, which results in a NURBS curve

C-Spline: instead of interpolation, approximate the given point data with a NURBS where you can define the number of control points

Custom Approximation: write your own fitting routine using an internal optimization and custom objective, and fit a NURBS curve into the point data where you define how to automatically move the control points

F-Spline: fit a smooth fspline curve into the point data by an internal optimization (might work for more simple profiles)

Probably there are even more options, this is just what have come to my mind immediately...

We have profile fitting tasks quite often in our projects, where we e.g. automatically want to fit an imported blade (given as point data) into a parametric model - that then can be used for optimizations.

Cheers

Jörg

post-8-0-41808900-1435818285_thumb.png