Hey Guys,

im have created a propeller model in CAESES and now i want to simulate it with a software connector within CAESES. I have not much experience with connectors and was unable to find good information nor tutorials in the internet. Im am using both OpenFoam and Caeses on Ubuntu.

Can you please give me a litte tutorial on how to make this work?

thanks in advance.

Hey Bernhard,

Here is a thread where to find all tutorials, which are included in CAESES.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to post them and if you use the forum search on the top right you will find more information.

Cheers,

Karsten

Hey Bernhard,

Good to hear that the tutorial was helpful.

If there are errors while running an external software you can see it in the File viewer.

Or send me the stdouterroroutput.redirect file which you can find in the computation folder.

There is all output listed which was written in the Terminal by the external program.

Can you send me your project file and the created result folders?

You can create an archive and upload it.

Cheers,

Karsten

Thanks for your awesome help.

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/0.org to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//0.org

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/Allrun to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/Allrun.pre to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun.pre

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/constant to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//constant

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/system to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//system

[Captured output from application /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun]

hallo

/home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: 8: /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: wmUNSET: not found

/home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: 10: /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: source: not found

Running blockMesh on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running surfaceFeatureExtract on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running snappyHexMesh on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running renumberMesh on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running topoSet on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running createPatch on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running decomposePar on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running pimpleDyMFoam in parallel on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner using 4 processes

Running reconstructPar on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/sym_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner

This was the output given in the file viewer.

My project is attached below.

sym_prop.zip

Hey Bernhard,

First of all, the OpenFoam connection is working as it should.

That's fine.

Now let's talk about: why you can't find any results:

The input geometry: post-41-0-62357200-1435145177_thumb.png  

a) The Propeller object can't be exported as stl and you defined the export type to be PPB which is a special panel mesh forma and not an stl.

b) if you take a look at the OpenFoam input file system/snappyHexMeshDict (tutorial Step 2) you can see that SnappyHeXMesh needs 7 stl files in total.

Therefore I recommend you to do all the steps of the propeller tutorial starting with the propeller sample file (see Step 1)which you can find in the documenation brower > samples > tutorials > PropellerSetup post-41-0-63650600-1435146812_thumb.png

After that you can modifiy the propeller and fit it to your design.

I hope this will help you to get more insights on how to couple CAESES and OpenFoam succesfull with results :-).

Here are some additional forum posts which might help you.

Watertight cfd ready Propeller

Propeller

OpenFoam post which might be interesting

Cheers,

Karsten

Hello Karsten,

Thank your for your help.

I have now been working with the OpenFOAM tutorial propeller, and followed the steps of the tutorial.

But when I run the software connector as said in chapter 8 of the tutorial,  I cannot find a forces.dat file in my results.

In the File viewer it gives me following output:

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/0.org to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//0.org

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/Allrun to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/Allrun.pre to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun.pre

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/constant to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//constant

Moving /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner/input/system to /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//system

[Captured output from application /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun]

/home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: 6: /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: wmUNSET: not found

/home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: 7: /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner//Allrun: source: not found

Running blockMesh on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running surfaceFeatureExtract on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running snappyHexMesh on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running renumberMesh on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running topoSet on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running createPatch on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running decomposePar on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

Running pimpleDyMFoam in parallel on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner using 4 processes

Running reconstructPar on /home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/81_OpenFOAM_Propeller/manual_results/baseline/Runner

how can the source not be found if we specify it in the Allrun script ?

Hey Bernhard,

The wmunset and the source shouldn't be the problem.

I think it is due to some changes in the openfoam versions. The tutorial has been created for openfoam 2.0 and I suppose You are using 2.3 right?

Can You attach your project file with the containing results again?

Then I can check the Setup and the alrunscript.

Cheers,

Karsten

Hey Bernhard,

I found at least one minor error which leads to a complete run failure.

If you take a look in the results folder you can find the log.* files.

These files are written by OpenFoam and contain the otuput of each component.

If something is not working as expected always check all of the these files.

In the file log.surfaceFeatureExtract there is an fatal error mentioned.

Writing extendedFeatureEdgeMesh to "/home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/openFoam_tut_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner/constant/extendedFeatureEdgeMesh/innerCylinderSmall.extendedFeatureEdgeMesh"

Writing featureEdgeMesh to "/home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/openFoam_tut_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner/constant/triSurface/innerCylinderSmall.eMesh"

Surface            : "outerCylinder.stl"

Feature line extraction is only valid on closed manifold surfaces.

--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
Cannnot read "/home/bernhard/Schreibtisch/CAESES/openFoam_tut_prop/manual_results/baseline/Runner/constant/triSurface/outerCylinder.stl"

From function triSurface::read(const fileName&, const word&, const bool)
    in file triSurface/triSurface.C at line 372.

FOAM exiting

It tries to read "outerCylinder.stl" but in the software connector you defined the name as "outerCylinderSmall.stl".

Change this name.

Your setup.

post-41-0-68768300-1435307888_thumb.png

New name setup:

post-41-0-09708200-1435307921_thumb.png

Run it.

The run should will take a while.

how can the source not be found if we specify it in the Allrun script ?

You have to set the source to your OpenFoam path and you are using OpenFoam 2.4 and the source it ../OpenFoam.2.2.

In detail change line 7 from

source /opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/etc/bashrc

to

source YourOpenFoamPath

I hope this solves the problem if not just post it.

Cheers,

Karsten

Hallo, 

Regarding openFoam,

When you go through logfile "log.blockMesh" at "openFoam_tut_prop\manual_results\baseline\Runner"

At folder "openFoam_tut_prop\manual_results\baseline\Runner\constant\polyMesh"
in the file "blockMeshDict", line 32

blocks
(
    hex (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7) (  ) simpleGrading (1 1 1)
);

(  ) cannot be empty. please enter a relevant number of cells you desire.

For example

blocks
(
    hex (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7) (10 10 10) simpleGrading (1 1 1)
);

On command window on terminal, type

blockMesh
----------------
Patches
----------------
  patch 0 (start: 2700 size: 400) name: walls
  patch 1 (start: 3100 size: 100) name: inlet
  patch 2 (start: 3200 size: 100) name: outlet

End

when you see similar comments on terminal, blockMesh is successful.

Again on terminal /command prompt type

paraview case.foam

You should see a cuboid / cube according to the cells you enter in above said brackets. 

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Sivam

Hi, 

I am trying to learn the tutorial of " propeller with openFoam" . I installed openFOAM 2.3.0 for windows .

I couldn't run Allrun file. And I couldn't read from the tutorial files since it is written for Linux. 

Can someone help me out how to modify Allrun file for windows. 

Thank you. 

Guest Mr. nikos fournarakis

Good morning to everybody.

I am working on a naval hull CFD case, connecting CAESES with OpenFOAM 4. Everything is working fine, however I am trying to implement through the connector the capability to show in graphical form, real-time information regarding the solution progress, like for example to present the residual values in a graphic form, or the produced hull forces, during the solution.

Any ideas on how can this be done?

Thank you

Nikos