Guest Ms. Fleur Bakkum

Creating Sections after Lackenby Transformation fails

Guest Ms. Fleur Bakkum

Hello,

For an assignment during my internship I have to make different transformations from existing hullshapes. I used the 'Scaling' and 'Lackenby Shift'. I would like to compare the hydrostatics with the original model. 

After doing the transformation, I can create sections for the 'Scaling'-model and calculate the hydrostatics. When I want to create sections for the 'Lackenby Shift', the program crashes. 

I imported deprecrated IGES-files, with a decreased number of patches from NAPA. 

Is there a solution for this problem available? For instance, are there still too many patches in the imported model?

Thank you very much,

Fleur

Hi Fleur,

There have been issues with using files with lots of patches from Napa, but usually a solution could be found.

A crash should never happen.

Is it possible to attach the project file? I would like to see the reason for the crash (and fix it).

You could also send it directly to wunderlich@caeses.com in order to not publish it inside the forum.

Cheers,

Stefan

Guest Ms. Fleur Bakkum

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your very quick reply. Unfortunately I can not send the project file. We are not able to do that because of the client.

Is there a possibility you can give me some tips to fix it myself? 

Cheers,

Fleur

Hi Fleur,

Do you apply the transformation on the patches or on the original sections?

If you are "only" interested in the hydrostatics, transforming the original sections would be my preferred method.

It should give stable and fast results.

I attached a modified sample.

If you can somehow reproduce the crash with less sensitive data, I still would like to look into that.

Cheers,

Stefan

63_Lackenby_Hull_Variation.fdb

Guest Ms. Fleur Bakkum

Hello Stefan,

The transformation has been done on the original sections. Still, it is strange the 'Scaling' is going OK, but 'Lackenby' is not. 

I have checked your file and I did it the same way. I am going to play around in the program, maybe there is an other solution. 

Thank you anyway!

Cheers,

Fleur