Mr. Iorga Stefan

How a nabla bulbous bow can be modeled?

Hello,

I've started to learn Caeses for a while - hull modeling techniques are quite understandable, feature definition, etc - though, all the models provided includes delta bulbs connected to the hull with a coons-patch.

The trends in shipbuilding, as you all know, involve a nabla bulbous bow, due to seakeeping, mostly slamming (hammer blow - in romanian), etc.

I've taken a break working in Caeses, since I've been quite occupied with various projects, school, some work, etc., and I don't yet have the time to dig into Caeses more than I did last summer/autumn.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you some guidelines, maybe a forebody hull model you want to share, with a nabla bulb, faired nicely, without a coons-patch - let's say similar to KCS.

Thank you very much,

Stefan

Dear Stefan,

In general, all our parametric bulbous bow designs should be able to be shaped like delta, nabla or oval type bulbs. It is just a matter of finding the right values for all functions. For a nabla bulb one should reduce lower fullness of the bulb profile, increase the upper fullness a bit and also increase the keel start angle (deadrise). Also one should raise the maximum beam function (increase the start z value). I think when applying this changes to the bulbous bow setup it should look like a nabla type bulb.

The modeling of the connection of bulbous bow and hull is sometimes a bottle neck and is different from hull to hull. In one of my cases I found it to be

sufficient to use the surface-to-surface-fillet feature (you can find this feature e.g. in the RoPax-sample > derivativeJointCurve feature) between the bulbous bow and the lower hull.  With the similar feature which creates a fillet between surface and curve (you can find this feature in the Features tab > Hull Design > Smooth joint to stem) I created the small triangle-like surface above the bulbous bow (so to say the start of the stem). From the position where the stem has its minimum x-value I used the second mentioned feature again. So I got rid of the coons patch completely. As both features create the same 4-Points-BSpline-Curve it is possible to model this part watertight, as long as these fillets are short in x-length. 

post-45-0-36486700-1432640843_thumb.png

1) The hull surface goes almost to the end of the waterline (e.g. waterline:end:x - 1)

2) Surface to surface fillet, based on the 4-Points-BSpline

3) Smooth joint to stem feature

4)Again the Smooth joint to stem feature (as usual)

Why did I create the surfaces 3) and 4) and not only one surface for the stem part? -- Because this makes the small triangle-like part above the bulbous bow a bit more flexibel with regard to the surface resolution.

I hope this helps. I will create a small sample for that in the next days.

Best regards

Matthias 

• Upvote 1

Dear Stefan,

In general, all our parametric bulbous bow designs should be able to be shaped like delta, nabla or oval type bulbs. It is just a matter of finding the right values for all functions. For a nabla bulb one should reduce lower fullness of the bulb profile, increase the upper fullness a bit and also increase the keel start angle (deadrise). Also one should raise the maximum beam function (increase the start z value). I think when applying this changes to the bulbous bow setup it should look like a nabla type bulb.

The modeling of the connection of bulbous bow and hull is sometimes a bottle neck and is different from hull to hull. In one of my cases I found it to be

sufficient to use the surface-to-surface-fillet feature (you can find this feature e.g. in the RoPax-sample > derivativeJointCurve feature) between the bulbous bow and the lower hull.  With the similar feature which creates a fillet between surface and curve (you can find this feature in the Features tab > Hull Design > Smooth joint to stem) I created the small triangle-like surface above the bulbous bow (so to say the start of the stem). From the position where the stem has its minimum x-value I used the second mentioned feature again. So I got rid of the coons patch completely. As both features create the same 4-Points-BSpline-Curve it is possible to model this part watertight, as long as these fillets are short in x-length. 

attachicon.gifforeShip.PNG

1) The hull surface goes almost to the end of the waterline (e.g. waterline:end:x - 1)

2) Surface to surface fillet, based on the 4-Points-BSpline

3) Smooth joint to stem feature

4)Again the Smooth joint to stem feature (as usual)

Why did I create the surfaces 3) and 4) and not only one surface for the stem part? -- Because this makes the small triangle-like part above the bulbous bow a bit more flexibel with regard to the surface resolution.

I hope this helps. I will create a small sample for that in the next days.

Best regards

Matthias 

Thanks for sharing this out - and a small sample will be excellent, not only to me, but to all newbies in Caeses, wondering about this matter.

Sorry for writing so little, though, when I'll be ready with a such a model, I'll gladly share it here.

Thank you very much Matthias !

Kind regards,

Stefan