Mr. Kevin Butterhof

Propeller Optimization

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to run an analysis on my propeller that would allow me to input value such as RPM, velocity, etc and output values such as efficiency and required thrust. My main issue is determining the optimal RPM and Diameter values to use for my application. If this optimization process is possible in CAESES, would you kindly inform me how to go about doing this?

Thank you very much,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes, this is a typical usecase for CAESES.

The optimization process would have to be done manually in the free version - automatic optimization would require a full version (either a commercial or academic license).

However, CAESES does not contain any simulation code but can be easily coupled to a simulation tool of your choice. The simulation will then be triggered out of CAESES (manually or within an optimization process). 

Cheers,

Stefan

HI  Kevin,

If you are enrolled, let us have a copy of your certificate and we will supply a full license for the duration of your study. Please follow the instructions below

post-20-0-50069000-1420704936_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Claus

Claus,

I have followed the directions you have posted. I have another question. In order to perform the optimization on my propeller, is it necessary to integrate an external CFD software with CAESES or does CAESES alone have the ability to perform the optimization. I am mostly interested in the obtaining the thrust outputted by my surface piercing propeller as well as the efficiency of the propeller at varying RPMs. I do not have a CFD software on the same computer as CAESES, so if a CFD software is necessary, my next question is will I be able to transfer my CAESES license to a school computer that has ANSYS FLUENT?

Thank you for your help,

Kevin

HI Kevin,

Indeed, you need a tool to assess the quality of your current design to start an optimization. We will provide you a web float license, which will allow you to run CAESES on any machine that is connected to the internet. We will email you soon.

BTW: for a propeller optimization a first good shot can be done using panel or lifting line methods, which has much shorter simulation time. Other empirical methods might also suffice. For the fine tuning a viscous CFD code will be great.

Cheers

Claus