Mr. Adjei Richard__0001

CAESES+CFX integration

Hello Everyone,

I've tried my hands on CAESES+CFX integration and i think its worth sharing for those interested in using Ansys CFX.

This was done with ICEMCFD as the mesh tool (rpl script file). The key files needed from CFX are the *.pre and *.cse. Ive attached a project file that shows how the integration was done. To run in batch mode, you'll need to call cfx5pre, cfx5solve and cfx5post executable( please check attachment). 

I've also attached a process workflow to describe how the integration works. To post process in CAESES, you can check the tutorials for more details. (C:\Program Files (x86)\FRIENDSHIP-SYSTEMS\CAESES\tutorials\01_getting_started\postprocessing.pdf).

Cheers,

Richard

post-115-0-56502100-1407895092_thumb.png

post-115-0-06910400-1407895095_thumb.png

post-115-0-40137100-1407895096_thumb.png

Project1_elbow.fdbc

Hello every body

I am using CAESES, ICEM and CFX  for automation and optimization too. I have some problems about software connections especially script files generation. I saw the related topics in forum and studied the tutorial files but it would not help me to solve my problem exactly.

I thought this attachment may be helpful but it is not available!

In addition, there are other questions: Is using the ANSYS ACT app the same as Batch Mode, or are the two different?

Please guide me. I am new with CAESES and ANSYS.

Best regards

Elena

Hello every body

I am using CAESES, ICEM and CFX  for automation and optimization too. I have some problems about software connections especially script files generation. I saw the related topics in forum and studied the tutorial files but it would not help me to solve my problem exactly.

I thought this attachment may be helpful but it is not available! please investigate it.

In addition, there are other questions: Is using the ANSYS ACT app the same as Batch Mode, or are the two different?

Please guide me. I am new with CAESES and ANSYS.

Best regards

Elena

Hi Elena,

The ACT App serves to bring CAESES as a parametric geometry provider into the ANSYS Workbench platform. By using the tool, one can get, besides the geometry, the parameter set and the boundary names defined in CAESES. In this case, ANSYS Workbench is the platform that controls the workflow.

However when you use the scripts in CAESES, through Software Connector, then CAESES becomes the platform that controls the workflow and the Meshing tools or the CFD/FEM analysis tools would work standalone either in batch or with gui.

Can you please let me know in more detail, what kind of problems you are facing?

We can also have a quick web-meeting so that you can share your screen.

Cheers

Ceyhan

Hi Ceyhan

thank you for clear descriptions about the ACT App. Which is your suggestion for optimizing a complex geometry with two or more objective functions? using ANSYS as platform or CAESES? Although I have chosen CAESES so far.

Actually I am working at S-duct example in tutorials and So far, I have not been able to execute a run completely. If I succeed, it will be better to have a web meeting at that time. and I am very grateful for your offer.

I have a lot of questions now and I apologize in advance 🙂

1. why making a path for results and specify ANSYS installation location is necessary even if I make files by my own? what is the meaning of getResultsDir() or getDesinsDir() commands that mentioned in tutorial pdfs?

2. in general, What mandatory changes must be made to files after they are generated?

3. if I use blocking and meshing in ICEM both together, what kind of files should I generate? and what changes should I make to them?

4. what is the difference between *.sh and *.bat files? how can I make them? is it manually?

5. How do I specify the objective functions? as evaluations?

best regards

Elena

Hi Elena,

As mentioned earlier when the ACT App is used CAESES only acts as a parametric geometry provider for ANSYS Workbench. Hence you cannot benefit from the CAESES optimization tools but have to rely on the ANSYS Optimization/ANSYS optiSLang.

The connections among the ANSYS tools within Workbench is quite straightforward by just linking the related components however you would have some little issue when you would like to include some non-ANSYS tools unless you write your own app.

When you use CAESES Software Connector, you have the capability to link every tool, in case they support scripting.

Coming to your questions;

1) You have to keep in mind that when you are running an optimization/DoE, each time a new design folder is created including the files in your Software Connector.

So let's say CAESES is working on the design# 142. The CAD geometry and all the scripts related need to be located to the specific folder.

The scripts where your local path is mentioned has to be made dynamic by getResultsDir()/getDesignDir(), etc.. so that each time CAESES copies the script file to the new design folder, the paths are updated.

You do not have to make the ANSYS installation path as dynamic since it does not change from design to design. But sometimes is useful when you would like to use your CAESES project on another computer. So by just changing once the path you will be able to update your script on several locations, if any.

2) As mentioned on item 1, as a must you have to update your relative paths. Do not forget that the way CAESES links the Softwares is through scripts. The Computer or the Softwares would not know where the files they are looking for are unless it is explicitly mentioned within the scripts.

3) You just would need one script/journal file for ICEM CFD that includes all the commands necessary to build your mesh. You can create the necessary file within ICEM CFD automatically.

4) *.bat file is a windows batch file containing windows/dos commands however *.sh file is a unix shell script file that contains a series of unix commands.

If your operating system is Windows, your main batch file that includes all the commands to run the tools should be a *.bat file. And in the case of Linux, it should be *.sh.

5) Within the menu of your optimization engine, you can include your desired objective functions under Evaluations.

screen.thumb.png.c4095b248d9cd412e6d12461ba659573.png

Cheers

Ceyhan

Hi Ceyhan

Thank you very much for your accurate answers.

I just did not get that how to make *.bat file. is it manually?

There will definitely be more questions in the future. should I ask you for guidance on this topic? Or in another way?
Please explain how to have a web meeting.

best regards

Elena

Hi Elena,

Sure feel free to ask any related questions.

In case you need a web-meeting please send an email to erdem@friendship-systems.com, defining your questions as well.

Yes, you have to create manually the *.bat file. Just create an empty file and change its extension to .bat.

Cheers

Ceyhan