Graychen

Some questions about CAESES ACT、 workbench and propeller feature

I have three questions about CAESES workbench and propeller feature。

1、Import an existing STEP geometry in CAESES with units in meters and dimensions is 0.0046m=4.6mm, but when I  import FSC into the workbench and opening it through SCDM, the size has changed to 0.0046mm. The size has been reduced by a thousand times. 

How to correct it?

2、After importing geometry A into CAESES on the workbench platform, it is necessary to performExternal flow CFD analysis on A. Therefore, an external computational domain was created using SCDM in the A-3 module to form B. when the parameters of CAESES were modified, and the geometry in the A-3 module became C, but SCDM did not automatically create an external computational domain for it.

So my question is, if in the optimization process, it is necessary to automatically create external computational domains for parameterized geometry, what should be done?

image.png.91fe8051b028d47d2a2924a658118f94.png

3、A propeller was created using CAESES' propeller feature. Since CFD calculation requires a closed geometry。

how can the tail and tip of the blade be closed for CFD calculation?

image.thumb.png.6aeb25ab33b9cba6d39198bc86089b90.png

image.png

Today is a public holiday in Germany.

The forum is meant to be a platform where non-commercial users support other non-commercial users. Our support team certainly helps out here and there to make them happy, but the priority for us is to support our paying customers, first.

Kind Regards

Claus

1 hour ago, Mr. Claus Abt said:

Today is a public holiday in Germany.

The forum is meant to be a platform where non-commercial users support other non-commercial users. Our support team certainly helps out here and there to make them happy, but the priority for us is to support our paying customers, first.

Kind Regards

Claus

Sorry to bother you...

Hi Graychen,

I can see that you are using Caeses v4.*. Is there a specific reason for that?

The current ACT version which is shipped within Caeses v5 installation files may not be supporting the full features with Caeses v4

1. I will highly recommend you install Caeses v5 together with the shipped ACT app. There you can modify the project units which will the transferred to downstream.

2. If you are using SpaceClaim as your default geometry editor in Ansys Workbench, then I will recommend you create a script file for SpaceClaim that will generate the domain creation and then the subsequent boolean operation. You can provide the script file to the ACT App, which you can see within options menu.

However if you are using DesignModeler, you do not have to provide a script. Because in this case only the geometry and the Named Selections are changed. And the new entities created afterwards remain there.

But I will recommend you to create the complete fluid domain in Caeses, providing the necessary colorings as well.

And if you are going to link the Caeses created geometry to any other tasks, please use A3, which is the geometry with the included Named Selections.

3. Basically what you have there is a surface. You can create a trailing surface using a ruled surface. It is a surface type that you have to provide two curves. In your case the trailing curves of pressure and suction side would do the job.

Then you can add those into a BRep to start creating a water-tight geometry. I don't know your design but then a simple "Close Planar Holes" or a "Solid From Intersections" operation with the help of hub and shroud surfaces should do the trick.

I will recommend you to go through the tutorials and switch to Caeses v5.

Cheers

Ceyhan

On 5/22/2023 at 4:49 PM, Ceyhan Erdem said:

Hi Graychen,

I can see that you are using Caeses v4.*. Is there a specific reason for that?

The current ACT version which is shipped within Caeses v5 installation files may not be supporting the full features with Caeses v4

1. I will highly recommend you install Caeses v5 together with the shipped ACT app. There you can modify the project units which will the transferred to downstream.

2. If you are using SpaceClaim as your default geometry editor in Ansys Workbench, then I will recommend you create a script file for SpaceClaim that will generate the domain creation and then the subsequent boolean operation. You can provide the script file to the ACT App, which you can see within options menu.

However if you are using DesignModeler, you do not have to provide a script. Because in this case only the geometry and the Named Selections are changed. And the new entities created afterwards remain there.

But I will recommend you to create the complete fluid domain in Caeses, providing the necessary colorings as well.

And if you are going to link the Caeses created geometry to any other tasks, please use A3, which is the geometry with the included Named Selections.

3. Basically what you have there is a surface. You can create a trailing surface using a ruled surface. It is a surface type that you have to provide two curves. In your case the trailing curves of pressure and suction side would do the job.

Then you can add those into a BRep to start creating a water-tight geometry. I don't know your design but then a simple "Close Planar Holes" or a "Solid From Intersections" operation with the help of hub and shroud surfaces should do the trick.

I will recommend you to go through the tutorials and switch to Caeses v5.

Cheers

Ceyhan

hi Ceyhan

Thank you for your answer

The first problem: I solved the problem of changing the unit to mm in CAESES.

The third question: I achieved the goal of closing the blade tip through a feature of a propeller in the tutorial.

Second question: I did not see a place in the properties of A-3 where I can set the script path (as shown in the figure below), so I don't know how to load the recorded script into the program. Do you know where to set it? The current solution is to create an external computing domain in CAESES as recommended by you. But I encountered another problem with this method, which is described below.

1457994147__20230523201539.thumb.png.795e0c2144a77c31b85929eff55a0c8b.png

I created a fan A in CAESES, and the color of the entire brep is A1it is necessary to create a cylindrical dynamic domain because of CFD. So we created a cylindrical Brep B with the colors B1, B2, and B3 for the bottom, side, and top surfaces of the cylinder. B wraps around A. In CAESES, Boolean operations are used to cut off A in B to obtain Brep C, which is the external computational domain required for CFD. However, in this case, BrepC is an integral BREP and can only be set with one color for the whole. How to set the different colors of the inlet, outlet, side,and fan wall regions separately?

2017338279_.png.ac34a11254d3dd77444aae6e2d244b26.png

thanks

Hi Graychen,

That option exists within "Caeses Geometry". B2 in your case. Please check it before updating the component.

I believe your default geometry module is set as SpaceClaim. I will recommend you to go over the tutorial with regards to Ansys Workbench Connection in Caeses v5.

If you have set the correct color coding in A and B, when you perform a boolean, you should be having the propagated colors in C.

Please assign a color to your entire fluid volume.

Also do not forget to make a change in SpaceClaim that is mentioned within the tutorial.

Cheers

Ceyhan

36 minutes ago, Ceyhan Erdem said:

Hi Graychen,

That option exists within "Caeses Geometry". B2 in your case. Please check it before updating the component.

I believe your default geometry module is set as SpaceClaim. I will recommend you to go over the tutorial with regards to Ansys Workbench Connection in Caeses v5.

If you have set the correct color coding in A and B, when you perform a boolean, you should be having the propagated colors in C.

Please assign a color to your entire fluid volume.

Also do not forget to make a change in SpaceClaim that is mentioned within the tutorial.

Cheers

Ceyhan

hi Ceyhan

Sorry, I did not find a place in A2 where I can set up SCDM software scripts.

108995576_.thumb.png.6d649b4b2aa883a865ab334cc2fa1c0a.png

Thank you for your reminder. I have set "Use SpaceClaim color tones when importing" in SCDM.

Do you mean that the color of the bottom, side, and top surfaces of C inherits fromis the same as B1, B2, B3?  The fan wall inside C inherit fromis the same as A1?

thanks

graychen

Hi Greychen,

Please be sure that you are using the latest version of the ACT App, that is shipped with Caeses v5. You can find it within the <Caeses installation folder>/etc/ansys

screen.thumb.png.fdad92e6a06e3780131431643eb35cc9.png

Yes, after the boolean operation C will inherit the colors from A and B.

Cheers

Ceyhan

5 minutes ago, Ceyhan Erdem said:

Hi Greychen,

Please be sure that you are using the latest version of the ACT App, that is shipped with Caeses v5. You can find it within the <Caeses installation folder>/etc/ansys

screen.thumb.png.fdad92e6a06e3780131431643eb35cc9.png

Yes, after the boolean operation C will inherit the colors from A and B.

Cheers

Ceyhan

Thank you very much. I'll give it a try tomorrow

On 5/23/2023 at 7:29 PM, Graychen said:

hi Ceyhan

Thank you for your answer

The first problem: I solved the problem of changing the unit to mm in CAESES.

The third question: I achieved the goal of closing the blade tip through a feature of a propeller in the tutorial.

Second question: I did not see a place in the properties of A-3 where I can set the script path (as shown in the figure below), so I don't know how to load the recorded script into the program. Do you know where to set it? The current solution is to create an external computing domain in CAESES as recommended by you. But I encountered another problem with this method, which is described below.

1457994147__20230523201539.thumb.png.795e0c2144a77c31b85929eff55a0c8b.png

I created a fan A in CAESES, and the color of the entire brep is A1it is necessary to create a cylindrical dynamic domain because of CFD. So we created a cylindrical Brep B with the colors B1, B2, and B3 for the bottom, side, and top surfaces of the cylinder. B wraps around A. In CAESES, Boolean operations are used to cut off A in B to obtain Brep C, which is the external computational domain required for CFD. However, in this case, BrepC is an integral BREP and can only be set with one color for the whole. How to set the different colors of the inlet, outlet, side,and fan wall regions separately?

2017338279_.png.ac34a11254d3dd77444aae6e2d244b26.png

thanks

Hi, can you tell me how to change unit from m to mm? Thanks you.