Ravi

help with identifying propeller type

Hi, 

I want to replicate the attached propeller from Torqeedo. End goal is 3D print it and use it on my boat. Accuracy is not an issue and something looks similar to the reference image is fine. I checked the Wageningen online tool but its only for B-series.

I need help with identifying the prop type (name, series etc.,) and guidance on how to model it in CAESES (if at all it's possible)

Thanks!

ReferencePropeller.jpeg

Hej Ravi,

I don't think that the Torqeedo props are a standard series. Might be that they use some well known section definitions but I don't think they share these information.

Designing something that looks roughly like the picture (at least the outlines) will be easy, but you cannot expect to get proper performance this way. What I'd recommend at the very least is, to use a suitable series for the sections (Naca66mod could be a good starting point. Might be that you have to thicken it a little more if you are going for a 3D print), find out the pitch of the original (or, even better the pitch that suits your needs) and then use the propeller sample project that comes with CAESES to adjust chord, skew, pitch etc. distributions along the radius.

Cheers,
Heinrich

• Like 1

Hei Heinrich,

Followed you advice to use a Sample Propeller project and modify it. Did the same and got something close. Haven't tested it, so performance is still suspect like you said. 

But since I  am total beginner in CAESES, I couldn't get the conical hub shape like the original. I'm happy with what I got though.

Best,

Ravi

prop.PNG