Hi Igor,

please find attached a preliminary version of the standard series propeller by BTroost, modeled in CAESES. This project is still under development! Currently I use a naca66 profile to visualize the 3D model of the propeller.

Apart from the profile you will find a working feature definition in the attached project which creates a propeller model by using some input parameter like total resistance, thrust deduction, nominal wake fraction and ship speed.

post-45-0-94660000-1385388774_thumb.png

The characteristic blade functions chord, skew, pitch, maximum thickness, ... are defined by the Wageningen B- series description [E. Lewis. (November, 1988). Principles of Naval Architecture, Volume II, Resistance, Propulsion and Vibration. p. 186 ff.].

post-45-0-35816700-1385388915_thumb.png

Within the feature you can change e.g. the number of blades, diameter, area ratio, ... to vary the geometry.

post-45-0-42031200-1385388828_thumb.png

The feature creates a propeller model in the Propeller Free Format PPF.

post-45-0-39138500-1385389511_thumb.png

In the near future I will replace the naca66 profile with the definition of the geometric blade section of Wageningen B- and BB-series.

UPDATE AUGUST 2017: See the posts below - we have a complete setup for the Wageningen series available now.

Kind regards

Matthias

wageningenBSeriesPropeller.fdb

• Upvote 1

Dear Matthias,

If I need to do the same first I need to design the blade with all these parameters (blade functions chord, skew, pitch, maximum thickness) and edit the code for the necessary results (total resistance, thrust deduction)?

Regards,

Prabu

Hi Prabu,

sorry for the late reply.

I am not sure if I understand you right. In order to create a Wageningen-B-Propeller you just have to run the feature which you can find in the project attached to my last post. Therefore the total resistance and the thrust deduction are inputs, not results.

I hope this helps you. If not, please ask again for help.

Cheers

Matthias

Greetings

I looked up the books Principles of Naval Architecture for Skew angle function in the B series and don't find any thing
Your 6-blade impeller used the following equation for r/R=0.2

(0.5 - 0.617) * pc1:y
What should I change for my blades 5 or else

i use your sample for producing propeller from z,P/D,EAR,Skew.Rake

Hi Majid,

please see the table below.

post-45-0-53752300-1412443168_thumb.png [E. Lewis. (November, 1988). Principles of Naval Architecture, Volume II, Resistance, Propulsion and Vibration. p. 187]

Table 12 shows the dimensions of 4-7 bladed propeller. The value ar/cr is used for the skew function, as it describes "the distance between leading edge and generator line" at a certain radius.

For a 5 bladed propeller, there is no need to change something. If you want to create a 3 bladed propeller, you should change the certain values in the feature to the values according to Table 13 below.

post-45-0-60619800-1412443647_thumb.png [E. Lewis. (November, 1988). Principles of Naval Architecture, Volume II, Resistance, Propulsion and Vibration. p. 187]

Cheers

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I tried to model a 2 bladed propeller. Unfortunately I can’t find the table for 2 bladed propellers. Neither in the Principle of Naval Architecture nor somewhere else. Could you help me?

And if I have the table is it enough just to change the data? I got a EAR of 0,25 which is less the lowest EAR of Wageningen B...

Greatings

Paul

Greetings,

Thank you very much for this feature !

Firstly, is there any chance that the geometry of Wageningen sections was integrated in it, instead of NACA profiles ?

Then, being new to CAESES, is there a way that I can adjust easily the pitch of my propeller ?

Many thanks in advance,

P.R.

Hi Paul,

well, there is a way to include the profile definition, but this will take some time. Actually I started this quite a while ago but forgot about it. Let me come back to you about this. Regarding your 2nd question, yes, there is a way as well. If I remember correctly the pitch is optimized to reduce KQ and keep KT. However, the final pitch distribution over radius is applied directly to the propeller and can be exchanged easily. I modified the feature for you. You will find an option to use your own custom pitch-to-diameter curve. The curve must be modelled in the z-plane, using x for the dimensionless radius (e.g. 0.2 -1) and using y for the pToD value. 

If you have further question please do not hesitate to ask!

Best regards

Matthias

wageningenBSeriesPropeller_271115.fdb

Thank you very much for your quick reply, Matthias.

I will be interested if you are able to complete this project, but this is already very helpful.

Once again, I'm very grateful!

Best regards,

P.R.

Hi Paul,

well, there is a way to include the profile definition, but this will take some time. Actually I started this quite a while ago but forgot about it. Let me come back to you about this. Regarding your 2nd question, yes, there is a way as well. If I remember correctly the pitch is optimized to reduce KQ and keep KT. However, the final pitch distribution over radius is applied directly to the propeller and can be exchanged easily. I modified the feature for you. You will find an option to use your own custom pitch-to-diameter curve. The curve must be modelled in the z-plane, using x for the dimensionless radius (e.g. 0.2 -1) and using y for the pToD value. 

If you have further question please do not hesitate to ask!

Best regards

Matthias

Greetings,

I'm trying to modify  wageningenBSeriesPropeller.fdb to 3 blades and small diameter D=0.05 m

but the program failure say can't find appropriate  naca profile

can you help my with this ?

Hi together,

I just want to let you know that we have reviewed this complete Wageningen propeller setup. We are trying to make it user-friendly and super easy-to-use, as well as robust in terms of fillet generation and so forth. If you would like to test our current setup, please get in touch with us. It would be great to get your feedback on it!

Cheers

Joerg

Here is a screenshot of the Wageningen setup. post-8-0-10726100-1470737095_thumb.png

Area ratio and number of blades can be set, as well as function graphs for rake, skew (delta), pitch.

VIDEO

A short demo video can be found in this blog post with some description, or directly here.

Last post update: FEB 2017

On 8/8/2016 at 8:23 PM, Jörg said:

这是瓦赫宁根设置的屏幕截图。8-0-10726100-1470737095_thumb.png

可以设置面积比和叶片数量,以及前倾角、倾斜(增量)、俯仰的功能图。

视频

可以在这篇博文中找到简短的演示视频,其中包含一些描述,或者直接在这里找到。

最后更新: FEB 2017

Hi,
I am sorry,I can't find the B-series propller in CAESES sample.How could get it or design?
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks.