Hi everybody,

I recently tried my hands on integrating CAESES with fluent and i think its worth sharing for those who work with fluent and will like to use CAESES parametric models.

Please find attached a copy of my project file. its a simple meta-surface elbow i designed with an ellipse curve.Functions for the "width and "height" of the curve are defined. you can have a look at how parameters are set from function curves. I used ICEMCFD as my meshing tool and Fluent as CFD solver. specific files such as the *.rpl and *.jou were used as input files( checkout the attachments).

Absolute paths should be changed to relative paths via "getdesigndir()...." (not all paths are necessary!). A *.bat file, RunFluent.bat, was used to run both ICEMCFD and Fluent in batch mode. Snapshots, graphs etc from fluent can be included as results files for post processing. Details on post processing can be found in CAESES tutorials " getting started".

You can have a look. Suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,

Richard

"N.B: CAESES is one of the most powerful softwares for tight integration with CFD softwares for DoE and Optimization. All you need to know is to understand how your External CFD software handles its files to know exactly which input and result files to use. it must also have the capability of running in batch mode."

post-115-0-72163300-1384232493_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-36790500-1384232563_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-95831400-1384232608_thumb.jpg

Project1_elbow.fdbc

post-115-0-94458700-1384232805_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Hi ,

I've reset my license to CAESES and it works perfectly well. ( check out snapshot )

I think  *.fdbc project files are for non-commercial and Free Editions unlike the *.fdb which is for commercial editions. so i think  it should work. Ive attached it again using CAESES. you can give it a try.

hope this helps.

Regards

Richard

post-115-0-44953500-1387100013_thumb.jpg

Project1_elbow1.fdbc

Hi,

Richard is right. fdbc files will work in both, the academic and the free edition (CAESES), but not in the commercial edition. fdb files (which is the file format of the commercial edition) can be opened in all versions but only saved in the commercial edition.

Regards,

Arne

Hello

Thank you for this example. It was very helpful in connecting CAESES with Fluent and the Mesher I am using (Pointwise) together. I am wondering if using a batch file is the only way to connect the two together. My first attempt was to create two separate connections for Fluent and Pointwise but I was unclear on how to get them to run sequentially, mesher and then solver. 

HOWEVER, I have 2 secondary issues.

1) The parameters I have created for result values are not updating properly and read as nan.

2) When I try running a Sobol engine to conduct a design study it runs Pointwise to mesh the first one, then runs fluent to solve it but starts running pointwise again and then fluent again for the second design before the first one has finished solving. This causes several instances of Fluent which drastically slows the computation down. In addition to this the evaluation parameters give nan values. I tried it with asynchornous update on and off and specifying the maximum number of running instances of the local application which is the batch file. Any ideas on how to get CAESES to wait for Fluent to finish solving the first design before starting to mesh and solve the second design? Is it the batch file which effectively finishes once it starts Fluent so it begins the next one? I have tried using START /wait in the batch file in stead of call but that has not worked. Also why are the evaluation parameters not updating? 

Any help is appreciated :)

NACA4DS_Connection_Test.fdbc

post-291-0-47021100-1462554709_thumb.png

post-291-0-69295500-1462554712_thumb.png

post-291-0-62609800-1462554796_thumb.png

post-291-0-28812200-1462554797_thumb.png

Hi,

In order to make sure that two connectors run in a fixed order, the second one (in your case fluent) needs to be dependent on the first one. Please see the second to last post in this thread: https://www.caeses.com/forum/index.php?/topic/303-connection-with-cfast/ for how to accomplish that.

1) From what I can tell on your screenshots, I think you have got the name of the table in the parameter wrong. I think it needs to be "cd-1-history" instead of "cd1history" (since I have no result files, I cannot really test it).

2) Actually, being able to calculate multiple designs at a time is a functionality of CAESES, so it behaves as it is supposed to. In general, if you want to make sure that only one computation runs at a time, it is the most efficient to disable "asynchronous" update for all your computations (in your project the computation "Runner" is set to asynchronous update).

I hope this helps,

Arne

Hi Edan,

The name of file used in the parameter expression can be both "cd-1-history" or "cd1history". Both ways will be parsed properly. Please see attached screenshot (Of course my example is stupid, because I just copied some fake result files. Pointwise and Fluent weren't really executed. The little test should just prove that the process generally works.)

My assumption would be that the result files do not exist when CAESES tries to read them. Maybe Pointwise/Fluent have terminated without creating the files?

Please check the console output. Is there an error message which says that CAESES could not open a file? Something like:

"*** INFO FGenIntReader : Could not open file .../NACA4DS_Connection_Test/manual_results/baseline/Runner//cl-1-history for reading [parsing process aborted]

If you find such a message the file most likely does not exist (or has a different name) and therefore the parameter cannot be updated.

Cheers

Ben

post-25-0-06792900-1462874584_thumb.png